TLZone Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Ive been riding my TL for 8months.
This is my first vtwin. I have the question?
Everywhere i go to get parts for my TL people say alot of negative things about TL's. They say they like to eat the big end bearings,the motor breaks easily, the cams gets eaten...and so on and on....but to me it feels like a strong bike that u must take care off. What are your guys opinion about TL'S as a whole? I want to shut this nay sayers up

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Bought my first one in 1998. Still got it with 86.000 miles on it.i put another engine in it at 64.000 miles but third gear went less than 20.000 miles later Had the original engine rebuilt by Sam a few years ago. It felt a bit tired but was running mostly ok. He replaced the bigend shells and sorted out my cylinder heads which were a bit mismatched after a Suzuki dealer did some work on it when it dropped a valve.
Some have problems others not so much the same as any other brand tbh
My other TLS is a 97 and has never put a foot wrong it has done 30.000 miles now and is 23 years old.
Just check out how many owners have kept theirs for years, there is something about them that's addictive.
You say about negative comments but the amount of people I meet who say they used to own and should never have sold it is far more than people who say negative stuff about them .
They need some tinkering which is part of owning one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't despair, TL,s are strong built machines and will go the distance. I'm on my second one and she has 45 on the clock with plenty of power that still scares me. Japs built these bikes to last and full credit to them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks bud. Im on my first vtwin ever. I enjoy her everytime i ride. Cant get enough of that lovely sound when i twist the throttle 🤣mine has 46k miles on, like u said that power gives u freight sometimes

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Got my second TLR with 8,000 miles on the clock. Got about 26,000 on it now. About the only thing I can vouch for on these bikes is the engine. Don't let these guys fool you... this is not a maintenance-free bike. The electrical system is utter shit. Of all the bikes I've owned (9 in all) the TLR is the most likely to leave you stranded. In fact, mine is actually down again for electrical problems. Huge shocker there.

That being said, people own TLs because they want to own TLs. Simple as that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi there, about the Tls. You either like them or you do not, I am 68 years old and have owned mine for 3 years now, it as stock as you will find, the only mod is a pair of Sebring cans on the back. Mine is a '97 Nov model, full power, I went out to buy a Honda VF 1000 V twin, but it was bent, on the way home I called into our local Suzuki dealer, had a look around, this black V Twin was up the corner, I did not know what it was as there was no name on the tank.
i went back the next day and asked for a test ride, he said, " are you sure ", perhaps my age disturbed him. Off I went thinking what the hell is this thing, I did about 20 klms or about 12 miles. When I got back he asked the usuals. he said " what did I think of the power for a bike that is 20 years old ". WHAT !
It was very neat everything worked that I tried, but that exhaust note, that sweet boom from each can. I live in Western Australia ( Perth ). Today the temperature is going to hit 41 degrees C. ( I am not leaving the house. )
Our roads have a max speed limit of 110 kph. I am constantly amazed at the short time it takes to get there only using 3 gears.You can feel those 2 big pistons pumping as you go. This bike is now 23 years old and has not changed one bit.
I have had only one small problem with it, that was the large wire block beneath the r/s inner panel, it was getting hot. I found the offending wire, cut it out and spliced in a new piece with an inline fuse, fixed. You have to spend Saturdays checking and Sundays riding. But I always enjoy the rides. The gearbox is magic, but as I found out rev the bugger or she stalls, you soon master that little quirk.
My only gripe of my Tls is the fuel usage, but you have to pay for the power.
My other bike is a 2010 Kawasaki GTR 1400 ABS, 50% heavier than the Tl, not that much more faster ( I think anyway ), but there is not a lot you can do yourself to it. Guess which one I ride the most.
Look after it well and it should look after you.
Regards GRIFF G

·
Registered
1 Posts
The problem with the electrical on suzukis, is the connectors are not water proof.
I have a 2001 gsxr 1000 and a 1997 TLS 1000,ive used water ever time ive cleaned the gixxer and have developed all kinds of electrical problems over the years.
From the headlight shutting off at night to the stator and regulator connectors melting.
Water gets in the connectors and starts corrosion which in turn creates resistance and eventually melts the plug.
My TL ive never washed,i just use that spray honda polish and ive never had an electrical issue yet.
I actually plan on replacing the gixxer wire harness and after i do, i'll never wash that bike again! LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've owned mine for over 20 yrs. Not one single issue. Always starts never once let me down. Look after it. It'll look after you. Simple.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I've owned mine for over 20 yrs. Not one single issue. Always starts never once let me down. Look after it. It'll look after you. Simple.
Congrats on owning 1 of 3 TLs that never had an issue.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi all. Ive been riding my TL for 8months.
This is my first vtwin. I have the question?
Everywhere i go to get parts for my TL people say alot of negative things about TL's. They say they like to eat the big end bearings,the motor breaks easily, the cams gets eaten...and so on and on....but to me it feels like a strong bike that u must take care off. What are your guys opinion about TL'S as a whole? I want to shut this nay sayers up
There are a group of people who like to say negative things. It pleases them to see someone's enthusiasm about something, and trash it. 88% of the time they make shit up on the spot.

There was a motorcycle that really ate its cams, it was the 1984 Honda VF750F. Now, I'm not saying that no other cam has failed in the history of motorcycling, but the TLs didn't have a systematic recall and prompt a no-expense-spared redesign within two years.

You'll never shut up the nay-sayers. You are laboring under the delusion that they are merely misinformed, and that by informing them you can fix this. There are several tactics that *can* work, though. Try this one:

Nay-sayer : "Hey, those TLs are known for <insert terrible thing here>. Everyone knows it."

You : "I know all about that. But I love it anyway. It's better than sex. Well, better than sex with your momma at least."

I predict one of two outcomes. Unfortunately one of the two outcomes may leave you with some medical bills. But do give it a go and let us know...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Haters gonna hate, Maters gonna Mate. I think the TL1000S have quite a long lived motor and yes of course a 20 year old motorcycle needs some care. But as others have already said, maintain your motorcycle and it will look after you. Operator errors in either riding or maintencance are 9 /10ths of what goes wrong in motorcycles.

I got lucky and bought mine with 34000km on the clock just after it had a thorough checkover and whatever was wrong was sorted out. So far I have had little dramas two years on, most of them to do with my own lack of knowledge around maintenance and attempting to modify it. Every motorcycle make has it's lame ducks and lemons and within that group there are some definite dogs but the TL isn't one of them. The TLS is in good company in the Supersports bikes of it's time and the way it puts the power down makes it a rare beast in a modern world of well behaved (koff boring koff koff) but fast up top bikes.
https://www.visordown.com/reviews/used-bike/future-classics-97-suzuki-tl1000s-94-honda-fireblade-98-triumph-t595-daytona
Likewise, the TLR was running alongside the Ducati 996, not exactly slack either.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I have a 97 TLs, had it since 2009, very reliable bike, has around 36000 miles on clock, only do around 1500 miles a year as have other bikes and vehicles, but never lets me down and its the longest I have ever owned a bike. Still makes me grin when riding it and sounds brill.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the responses, yes i can agree these bikes is strong aslong as all the factory probs are sorted. I also have a 97 and it looks like i finally tweaked minè. I love my TL to bits

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
simple, ..just say "oh have you riden one then "?...in the context of agreeing with them that they have riden one..usually say no but i heard...then say, well you dont know shit..!.. had mine 3 years old, engine same and no probs, its now on 68K and normal blips..look after it...eventually those negative nacies will ask you if your selling it in time...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanx, 🤣
Yes its true what u said, the nay sayers is like that. I also believe if u look after it,it will look after u!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts