TLZone Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my new (used) Penske rear shock today, only to realize I lost two necessary stainless bushings required as spacers for the top and bottom end of the shock.
I am so friggin pissed at myself. :banghead
I got the shock from XRacerX in great shape, unpacked it and repacked it for a trip to Lindemann. Somehow, two spacers were lost. I totally blame myself, should have stripped the thing bare before sending it out to CA, but in the end it still happened.
I ordered new bushings from Penske, but they'll be here in a week, and I leave for Beaverun on this Friday.
So, the TLR is out of the mix this trip and the following things will not get accomplished this weekend.
* Evaluate new GaleSpeed wheel bushings
* Test new VANDRIVER solid clutch cover which arrived today (hopefully not crash test)
* Test new Penske rear and have it adjusted for my weight etc.
I got the RC51 prepped for the weekend and will be riding that bike. Glad I never sold it.
Ken

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...Ken, do you still have your old stock shock?

Can't you pull the bearings out of that?...(since the LE link didn't normally come with any)...

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, sold and shipped the Bitubo to Australia yesterday.

It's not the bearings, its the spacer bushings that allow the Penske to fit in the recess for the LE link on the bottom and the OEM brace at the top. The Penske is narrow on both ends, these spacers take up the slack space and make it a snug fit.
Ken

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...damn:banghead (for you)...

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hadn't considered sending it to Penske, probably wouldn't have mattered either way. My fault I didn't keep the small parts here before sending it out. BTW, the clutch cover looks terrific.
Ken

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
Damn... If I wasn't hitting the track this Monday I would have sent up the needed parts.

Have fun on the RC. :thumbup

·
Registered
945 Posts
you should have told me mate,
i could've waited another week for the bitubo

pity that you have to be seen on a h*nda now
maybe if u put some suzi stickers on no-one will notice :laugh

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fimp-bikes said:
you should have told me mate,
i could've waited another week for the bitubo

that was pretty funny...

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
fimp-bikes said:
Now where's that pic of the TLR with the Honda paint job when you need it? :O

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the bushings yesterday, Penske should be installed by this time tomorrow. Whew..
Ken

·
Registered
358 Posts
Be sure to post up how you think it feels, Don't know if you've used an Ohlins ever, but if so come Comparisan would be nice??????

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Never used an Ohlins, but I will put up a decription of how she feels afterwards. May have to wait until I have it properly adjusted for my weight.
Ken

·
Registered
782 Posts
Just out of curiousity I thought I had lost the spacers when installing an ohlins on my bike, could you not use a bunch of washers all smashed together to get the snug fit the spacers provide?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wouldn't want to chance an ill fitting stack of washers on a $1K shock unit.
I got the correct bushings and the shock is installed as of today.
Ken

·
Registered
782 Posts
NYCSTRIPES said:
I wouldn't want to chance an ill fitting stack of washers on a $1K shock unit.
I got the correct bushings and the shock is installed as of today.
Ken
I didn't I just wondered is there any structural difference between the two, provided the washers were within a mm of the right length.

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
If you lost the parts I think you lost, they are not washers, but spherical bearing inserts.

Try Penske on the next rebuild, they only charge $95 and are within driving distance of NYC, you usually get some kind of promo item and a hell of a good suspension lesson.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts