TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had dragging front brakes on my '97 TLS (tire would free-spin <1/4 turn when up on a stand), so cracked into the brakes last night. Disassembled them, cleaned up the pistons, etc. Pretty rough. This is a relatively low-mileage bike, but seems to have led a hard life. I'm guessing it was the original brake fluid, as it was orange and gelatinous (sp?). Seriously. I had flushed the brakes with new fluid shortly after I got the bike a few months ago, and put in new pads, but apparently the flush couldn't push this goo out. It was under all four pots and in some of the pathways. Nothing was blocked. Really did look like peach jelly. Ick. BTW, tire spins much more freely now. At least a couple of the pistons weren't moving in OR out. Silly me, now I feel compelled to crack into the back one...

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I bleed the brakes religiously. Had the same goo on the rear caliper after i found the second bleeding nipple.:laugh Felt a little dumb for overlooking that one.:coocoo
Jesse

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
I had to pull and sort the rear caliper after I tried to put new rotor on ... only took 2.5 hours for what I thought would be 30 minutes :laugh

·
Registered
992 Posts
I've seen brake fluid go "sour" like that before. Usually happens when its cold out. The water that gets in from condensation or washing (usually pressure washed forcing water in) gets mixed up to a point where it makes the jelly you've found. No good as far as brake fluid is concerned and can clog the resevoirs or calipers. I clean and change brake fluids on a yearly basis. Figure an hour or so tinkering and cleaning is my way of keepin my ass from gettin thrown down the road. Make sure you use what the bike calls for and stay away from the cheap stuff. My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeahhhhh, lesson learned.

It wasn't bad at all to do (the rebuild). Kept the old seals in, and they seem to be doing fine (no leakage....knock wood).

·
Registered
758 Posts
As cheap as even good brake fluid is, there is little excuse to not occasionally bleed your brakes... It also is a good excuse to buy a Mity-Vac!

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
What brands are 'good'? Here, we can get Castrol, Motul, Waco's, Suzuki, Yahama, Honda ... that's about it :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts