TLZone Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have already posted this on TL planet without much help, hoping I can get something here?

okay guys anyone with experience with the pcII i need your help

I have tried 3 lap tops, a serial port connector, a usb/serial port adapter, windows 95 and XP, with the bike and I still get the same message. all the bike does with the power commander conncted is crank over, but it won't fire.

"Com1 port open, power commander not found" and in the lower right corner it reads "port not set"

It says on their website to make sure the key in on, bike start button is on run and all connecions are secure (which all of these I have covered.)

I got on a phone call with a guy from dynojet today he told me to remove the number 9 pin from the serial port cord, disable my printer, reboot the computer with everything connected. I did all this still the same message as I typed above. I have over 8 hrs invested into this thing now, someone please help me?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I recently put a pcII on mine. When I connected the power commander to the computer, all I did was plug it in to my serial connection on the back and selected "Auto" in the pulldown menu titled "Port". :O Took about 2 seconds to recognize it on my slow ass computer.

This was all using the 9volt battery adapter and I had the pcII sitting on my desk, but I'd imagine it's the same sitting next to the bike as long as it's got power.

I'm no computer whiz, but you also mentioned a serial/usb adapter? I've never used one, but I believe in many cases you also need the drivers that supposedly come with the adapter, so I'd just stick with your serial port if you can.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...did your serial/usb adapter come with a software driver disk?

If so, try loading that and then re-installing your serial/usb adapter...

I had to do that with mine the first time (but it worked after that)...

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
It would seem you have at least two seperate problems.

1st the bike doesn't run with the pcII connected. That's of course not normal).

2nd you can't get your laptop and the PCII to talk to eachother. I've had issues with this as well. For whatever reason I can only get my PCII and laptop to communicate using one of my 3 usb ports. I never remember which one so some trial and error is usually involved:lol

With the PCII hooked up and the bike turned on does the PCII light up as it should?

Is the battery in your bike in good condition?

It seems to me that the most likely situtation is that the PCII has some major issues. I could see a bad serial cable or something causing problems hooking it up with a laptop, but the bike should run with it connected.

good luck

·
Registered
790 Posts
Oh, something else I just remembered. Initially I downloaded the program for the pcII (not the pcIII) from dynojet before the power commander came in. Went to hook it up to the computer and couldn't get it to recognize it. I uninstalled that version, then installed the one that came with the power commander which was an older looking different version, and it recognized the pcII.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
right now my buddy is working on cleaning up a laptop for me so that I can hopefully use it and fix the poblem, he is wiping it out and reinstalling windows XP. I was told by dynotjet that it was okay to use XP?

if it doesn't work I am going to try downloading the software from dynojet for the pcII instead of using the cd from dynojet.

from the top:

I did have it on the bike when I first got it, and I started, ran great. turned it on the next day, ran great, tried to start it the 3rd time and would just crank, not fire. Mind you that when I connected it, it had the map that it came with. After not having the laptop and PCII be able to communicate, I ttried following the directions to set the mapping manually. This was a disaster as I could not get the lights to move up and down toward rich or lean with anything I did.

So I would turn it on and off with the pcII connected and the light would light up on the power commander but sometimes the light would be on lean at the bottom, sometimes a light at the top and bottom, sometimes the middle two lights lit, sometimes no light at all?

the lights on the thing have me baffled since each time I turn the key with it connected the lights are in different places? That I cannot understand. I am no computer geek, nor am I computer illiterate. I have tried most all of what they have told me and nothing has worked.

would i matter that I have my TRE connected? never thought of that until just now?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot to mention it gives me the check --- FI when the pcII is connected when it won't fire, just crank. little red light on the guages stays on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts