TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Morning all,

I've just put a deposit on an immaculate 1998 TL1000R with less than six thousand miles on the clock.

Although 'Declared new at first registration', I am 99.9% certain it is a parallel import from Europe. The speedometer face differs and says 'Redial UK'. I also bumped into a chap at Cadwell Park last year with a lovely TLR he'd owned from new that had the same clock face, and he advised it was a parallel import. So the question is, because I prefer the UK version (which is hard to read when you need reading glasses!!) what actually controls the speedometer. Clearly, there is the pick up and speed indicator on the output shaft, but is it the ECU? So in other words, if i fitted a UK spec speedometer, would I need a UK spec ECU? Also, does anyone know anywhere that could re-programme the mileage reading so that it can be adjusted back to the low miles on the parallel unit?

Or, am I confusing myself? Is it simply a case of changing the speedometer face from a donor UK spec set of clocks - in other words - it's the dial that changes, not the ECU or signalling system? I've got a 1999 TLR already and it doesn't look as if the markers for 20, 40, 60 etc after 100mph are that well aligned between the parallel and UK spec. Could of course be a poor installation on the parallel!

Thanks

BSR67

·
Registered
127 Posts
The E number on the frame will tell you if it's a parallel import. Also check the ecu no. I would image,if it is an import all you will have to do is change the dial face, all the converting would have been done already other wise your odometer will be in Km's. I have a french import and the previous owner had just changed the dial face so it's still clocking up kilometres instead of miles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve

I have the bike now and the speedo is useless! The milometer seems to read OK, but the speed indication reads dreadfully slowly! I was doing probably 85-90mph the other night and it was indicating 65! Also, passing through villages with the 40mph flashing signs flashed as I went through at 40mph!

I've managed to sourced a brand new old stock UK specification speedo/tacho unit. I've found a company that will amend the mileage to the current!

Hopefully, this will sort the issue!

BSR67

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would imagine that will solve your problem, sounds like a problem with the clocks if they have been converted

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Joe on this site can change the mileage for you, he's in Germany. He added about 45.000 to my replacement Speedo last year as I wanted the correct on my TLS

Reactions: stevemoss

·
Registered
424 Posts
Joe on this site can change the mileage for you, he's in Germany.
No problem at all. However, I'm not sure if it pays. Although I'd do it free of charge, there still is shipping back and forth. No idea what 'that company' charges for the odo correction.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Forgot something. If you want to have your mileage set exact to the 'old' reading, make sure that company is able to do that. Some can do the 'simple' algorithm only, which can be wrong by up to 255 mls/kms. The reading shown in your 1st post would then result in 5967 instead of 5989. Not much different though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts