TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode home today after a 100 mile or so trip, and everthing seemed to go fine, until I hit traffic. The TLR got up to 220 degrees and the fans kicked on(no big deal). I then continue through traffic, get home, shut the TLR off and then all of a sudden, I hear gurggling sounds coming from my bike. I turn and look, and I see a ass load of antifreeze pouring out of the hoses. All of my hose clamps are tight, and my hoses are good.

Can someone shed some light to my overheating problem?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Doesn't sound like it's overheating at all, that's within the normal range.

What's your coolant level like? Done anything to it lately? I.E. add some? I know on the S the manual mentions some specific way of checking the level, i.e. warm and all that, just don't remember the exact procedure. I'd say check the R manual and do the check according to that and then see where you're at.

C

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,856 Posts
If it got too hot and boiled after you shut it down, the radiator might have overfilled the reservoir and that's where it came from. If you don't have the reservoir connected properly, any blowing off by the radiator will drop to the ground.

Check the reservoir level and hoses.

When the reservoir overflows, the coolant should only come out of the drain hose behnd the clutch cover.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:stupid but 220 deg F isn't even getting close to boiling or shouldn't anyway. If it is boiling over at very low temps check that your rad cap is holding pressure.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
dont go too high, if the rad can't handle it it'll balloon it, I've seen it done :doh

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
dont go too high, if the rad can't handle it it'll balloon it, I've seen it done :doh
fun! don't have pics do ya, that'd be interesting. closest I've come was having a dry race battery get overcharged thanks to a cbr voltage reg, 2 hours into a weeklong trip in 94. Before that I'd never seen a battery get so hot and swell up until it popped :laugh

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
This guy brought his older CRB 600 into the shop and said it keeps overheating, and he replaced the rad cap. so we check it out, its flowing, fans working, temp sensors working, thermostat ok, etc. well get to looking into the front of the rad...the coolant tubes all swelled up so much they were all touching each other :dowhat pressure test the cap come to find out it was 25ish lbs over what it was supposed to be :coocoo wish I had taken pics, this rad was SOLIDLY blocked

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
this rad was SOLIDLY blocked

LOL my friend I'm getting a great laugh at that...after cleaning the radiator you just sold me. It's a great radiator, don't get me wrong, and I'm NOT complaining...but geeze that thing had so much tar, asphalt, gravel and dirt packed into it that no air at all could flow thru most of the radiator. Looked like you always followed a tar truck and then rode dirt roads in the rain with no front fender LOL. I soaked it for a few days in the kitchen sink, then shovelled the dirt out of the sink and still clogged my disposal and drain. Looked like black and maybe some silver paint overspray or something on it too. Guard was all rusty. But it's straight and appears to be sealed, so it's going ot be good as new! I guess I've got to get used to the fact that TLs are generally old bikes now LOL! -best regards

1 - 11 of 11 Posts