TLZone Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of years ago, with 25K on my TLS, the motor went out. I swapped it with the TLR motor and made the few modifications to accommodate. It was fine for a while, but lately it has been running too hot. I installed the manual fan switch, but it doesn't seem to help with the current issue. The fan will come on at 216F, and the bike temp will level off for a few minutes, but then continue to climb until the bike shuts off at around 232F, sometimes a few degrees earlier. I have to increase the choke (fast idle) to keep the bike running because it begins to studder and then dies. The bike won't start up again until a few minutes later, a protection measure I assume. I realize that the TLR motor is usually supplied by two radiators, but I am only using the one stock radiator with my TLS frame and body. I considered installing another fan on the radiator, any thoughts on this? Today, I plan to do a thorough radiator flush, and reset the bikes TPS settings to ensure correct idle. I thought about trying to get a lower degree thermostat? Currently, I am using the TLR thermostat. Also, I plan to add some "water wetter" to assist in keeping low, but operatable temperature. Any recommendations on this? I am not sure what to try at this point so any advise would be greatly appreciated. You guys are always so helpful, thanks again!
-Andrew

·
Moderator,
8,247 Posts
Have you considered that the present thermostat might not be working properly?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got this thermostat new when I did the motor swap a couple of years ago. I am using the TLR motor and thermostat, but the TLS radiator. I will test the thermostat later today when I get it taken down. What about running the bike without a thermostat, I know it's not good long term, but could I do this to see if the temp will still rise and shut the bike down? Thanks!

·
Moderator,
8,247 Posts
That's a quick way to determine if it's the thermostat or not, but don't ride it like that for more than a test since you'll be running the cold FI map all the time. :thumbup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts