TLZone Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there TLZONE !

I'm pretty new to this so I hope I've posted this in the right place . I've just bought my first 1998 TL1000R . It was in abit of a state so I've stripped all the fairings off and started to give it clean / adjust . I know of a few problems I have like the clutch is slipping slightly but this next one is abit of a new one to me.

I was adjusting the clutch lever whilst sat on the bike and had it running .
It was quite happily sat at around 85degrees idling .

Every now and again the bike would sharply and shortly *HISS* like there was something escaping from somewhere high pressure. Each time this happened my temp would increase , at times by as much as 5 degrees !

I didn't want the bike to overheat so decided to shut it off and look for a water leak but I couldnb't find one anywhere ! No signs of any escaping fluid and my coolant resevoir hasn't dropped at all.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem or could point me in the right direction ?

Would really appreciate the help ,

Sonny

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
hissing?...and no water leak but temp rises...it could be two diff things...is it hiss when idles or revving?..check under the tank for the vacuum hoses and make sure all are connected and tight and not split..were is the hiss nose coming from ? could be near the tank...

you sort of need to figure out were the noise is located....temp rising..need to make sure your rad is full and free from any air pockets , in case its that and hissing from cap...two areas id look at first..and whatever you do..if people come on here and give advice...come back on and let us know how u go...! :thumbup

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The odd thing is the idle revvs seem to increase and won't settle back down . This could be causing the temp increase . Yeah it seems to be coming from under the tank but I can't be more prcise than that. I'll whip the tank off and have a look ASAP ! Cheers for replying Moyston ! :hail

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
sounds like some vacuum hoses ...you should download manual on here..and if you say its running rough...you really need to look at doing the throttle bodies sync. you can look on here for a home made tool as well...easy to do and theres even a video to watch..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvK-5aQuhNs

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok , so I've booked the bike into a garage today to have a few bits and bobs doing and rather than look for this problem myself , I thought I may aswell ask them to look at it while its with them . As soon as they let me know what it is , I'll post here .

The noise does sound like its orginating from under the tank somewhere so you might be right Moyston ! The bike also ticks over at a high rate when it's heated up.

Here's hoping they find the problem soon ! I wanna ride !

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Talk to me Terry Tibbs.... :laugh

I just picked up a 1998 TLR. It runs HOT while idling and cool while running. ( I have removed the fairings and the 2 radiators are doing their jobs and then some.)

Do your fans kick on? Mine didn't even at 222F (making me think my thermostat is bad...), however while running even in the 90+F air here in the southern US, it runs around 185F.

You can wire in a manual fan switch and pop it on while stopped idling.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Talk to me Terry Tibbs.... :laugh

I just picked up a 1998 TLR. It runs HOT while idling and cool while running. ( I have removed the fairings and the 2 radiators are doing their jobs and then some.)

Do your fans kick on? Mine didn't even at 222F (making me think my thermostat is bad...), however while running even in the 90+F air here in the southern US, it runs around 185F.

You can wire in a manual fan switch and pop it on while stopped idling.
MIne rides around 185-186, but just sitting at idle or stop and go traffic...............get your fire roasted nuts! I did the fan switch mod which helped out seriously!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TL's tend to run quite hot anyway (I've been told) . It's running temp should be somewhere around 85C running and 100C ish in traffic , my fans kicked in at around 112 I think .

I saw a guide on how to do that little fan mod http://tl1000rmods.blogspot.co.uk/

As for my bike , it's been in the shop for about 2 days now . Quite a fair bit of work needs doing and I don't have the time or the knowledge !

They are now checkin valve clearances which is turning out to be pretty damn expensive....
:banghead

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,281 Posts

As for my bike , it's been in the shop for about 2 days now . Quite a fair bit of work needs doing and I don't have the time or the knowledge !

They are now checkin valve clearances which is turning out to be pretty damn expensive....
:banghead
Any time your bike is in the shop, you can expect a big bill $$$. :crazy

That's why we like to tell others how to fix it themselves. It saves you money and it boosts our egos. :lol

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
:stupid

When you have guys like Six5 looking out for you, there isn't much you can't do. :hail

Download the manual, then ask questions when you hit a wall...

If you took the guys that work at whatever shop you dropped your bike off at and put them against just a handful of members here, the 'trained mechanics' would look like a bunch of monkeys.

Six5 is a genius when it comes to electricity and troubleshooting.
The Ring-In knows more about these bikes then all those guys combined. Guaranteed.

The manual fan switch is a $2 fix and can be done in minutes. You simply tap into the fan thermostat on the side of the lower rad, and then a flick of the switch fires the fans. It does not defeat the sensor, simply provides a manual override.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK so its been awhie since I updated this thread.

Apparently the reason my bike was running like a bag of spanners was because there was some kind of bung/blanking plate missing from the throttle body housing causing them to draw in air. I ended up taking it to another garage in the end as wheelfit motorcycles in Cambridge were terrible at solving the problem. They did everything BUT solve it. I even had a call from them saying they'd found a nail in my tyre which I'm certain wasn't there before I took the bike to them. Just so happened they stocked a whole range of tyres suiting my bike.... Fishy.

Anyhow got my bike back today and u can safely say it runs 100% better than before. Next it needs a service, chain and sprockets, rear pads then comes the fun of tarting her up with some fairings (which I'm yet to find!)

Thanks for the help guys!!

Sonny

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Apparently the reason my bike was running like a bag of spanners was because there was some kind of bung/blanking plate missing from the throttle body housing causing them to draw in air. ....
:confused

When you are doing the upcoming service, please post of photo of the part the shop fixed on your throttle bodies. :dowhat

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
:confused

When you are doing the upcoming service, please post of photo of the part the shop fixed on your throttle bodies. :dowhat
Six5,

I think he is probably referring to the rubber blocking cap for the unused nipples on his TBs. Leaving his vacuum system open without them.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I had mine in a workshop and they said there was a tube that was clamped up so they undid it. Didn't say which one, so have they undone some sort of mod done by a previous owner? Should I have a look and clamp back up?

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Six5,

I think he is probably referring to the rubber blocking cap for the unused nipples on his TBs. ....
Thanks rxf610. I suspected as much, but I would like to encourge Sonny Daze to become more familiar with his TL. Hence, my request for a photo.

The more one knows about his ride, the less he will need to rely on a "mechanic" to fix the simple stuff, and less likely to be bamboozled by an explanation that doesn't fly. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was born bamboozeled ! :D

I'll post a pic as soon as I'm servicing it :)
Cheers guys , really appreciate your help !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts