TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just bought a TLR and LOVE the bike. Unfortunately, one of my employees made the stupid mistake of getting grabby with my keys, started it and tried to ride the beast... not a good idea. Needless to say, he slammed it down on the right side, so I'm looking for some parts and what not...

I finally have the bike rideable; however, I realized last night when I rode it home, it runs at temp as long as the bike is running at a pretty decent speed. When I got into my neighborhood, the temp started rising, which is fairly normal, but only my left side fan kicked on. When I got it in to the garage, the coolant wasn't dumping from the radiator... it was backed up into the overflow and leaking out the top.

Is this due to the right fan not running... or a water pump... or any other ideas?! The radiator itself is not leaking... which seems good. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Eric

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I trust you're looking for a new employee along with a fix for your TLR? What temps were you getting up to? And is the right fan locked up as a result of soemthing being bent or just seemingly not kicking on when it should?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking for a new employee?!?! He can't pay for the bike un-employed!!!! :)

I know the TLR runs hotter than most bikes... the left fan is kicking on seeming right at 220 degrees Farenheit (spelling???). Good call... the left one spins freely if I go move it... the right one seems to be locked up... so, I'm assuming it's bent. Would the loss of that one fan cause the coolant to not circulate properly, though?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, I started it up this morning and let it idle to warm all the way up to temp... it keep a slow, steady pace to get to 185 - 200... probably 15 minutes.

I'm assuming the radiator is one unit... it looks to have an upper and lower... once it gets to around 215, the upper part of the radiator (around the cap) starts to smoke and then the left fan kicks on and the coolant starts to go into the overflow. When I turn the bike off, it still smokes for a bit and then left fan continues to run until back down away from 215...

·
Moderator,
8,247 Posts
I suspect something was bent when the bike was dropped. Straighten things out and get the second fan running and there's a good chance the problem will go away. Make sure you refill the radiator and get all of the air out of the system too. While you're in there you might want to do the fan switch mod to give yourself a way to turn the fans on and off manually.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, will do. I plan on playing with it Monday and Tuesday, as it looks like those will be my days off. We'll see how it goes... I've found that getting TO the fans and the radiator involve taking a GOOD amount of the fairings off!!! Oh, well! Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
It would seem to be unrelated to the incident. but the symtoms are those of a faulty thermostat. its located between the cylinders in a housing of its own. pull it out and drop it in a pan on the stove and watch it while the water comes to a boil. the thing should go from closed to fully open at about 85C if you have a cooking thermometer even better. if it even looks sus replace it.

And get another fan

I think ironarmscott had some for sale
look in the looking to sell forum

·
Registered
699 Posts
Sorry hate to post on your thread, but I just got back from a ride and there was a puddle of coolant right near the right rearset. I felt the hoses and no coolant in the hoses. Could this be the same problem??

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
but I just got back from a ride and there was a puddle of coolant right near the right rearset
you guys in the northern hemishpere are coming out of winter. those of you who have serviced your bikes and toppped up the coolant may have some spillage on the first couple of rides as the levels in the overflow bottle settle.
It is important to check the radiator levels once the bike is fully cooled . any air in the top is an indicator that the cap is faulty. coolant is vented as the engine heats up and retrieved as it cools. hence the overflow bottle and the double seal on the radiator cap. overfilling the overflow bottle will cause some spillage but a faulty cap will deplete the radiator.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Sorry hate to post on your thread, but I just got back from a ride and there was a puddle of coolant right near the right rearset. I felt the hoses and no coolant in the hoses. Could this be the same problem??
could be the mechanical seal on the water pump, mine started leaking for the first time at 56.000 miles when i brought it back out after winter, check the weep hole on the right side of the engine just in front of the water pump housing when the engine is up to temp, it will run down the engine and drip near the right footrest

mind you if there is no coolant in the hoses it sounds a bit more serious

·
Registered
699 Posts
I will check both tomorrow and let you know. Thanks for all the suggustions.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I borrowed a radiator cap from PMMonster and it solved the problem...The hoses hold pressure. Thanks Ring In!!! None of the stores around here have one so Ron Ayers here i come. Kind of wierd to fail at 15K miles??:O

1 - 14 of 14 Posts