TLZone Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a problem where the overflow pipe that sits in the fuel cap area seems to have snapped from where it connected to the tank (like at the top near the cap). Is this something that can be fixed or is a new tank required?:banghead

I don't seem to have found anyone who is game enough to try and weld it (and I don't blame them).

Can this be sealed off?

I have tried making something that attempts to lock it (like a pin that goes down into the pipe about 10mm with a hole through it to drain) into position but it seems to have not solved the problem and is not flush with the area around it.

I have attached a image to show where it snapped.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
Can this be sealed off?
Worst case you could remove the rubber hose from the spigot under the tank,put a bung on the spigot and make sure you do not overfill your tank.

What will happen now is when the tank is full and sloshs around,it can get into the broken overflow tube then start exiting from the rubber hose in behind the rear of the engine.The radiator overflow plumbs into that line also via tee.

The TLR should be similar to the TLS

Pic here

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c345/manurewa/FT2.jpg?t=1166085423

You could remove the fuelpump,purge the tank and work up though that hole but it would be very restricted.
You could drill out the vent at the top,TIG a new tube in,then perhaps join up to the internal tube with a crox fitting or even a short length of fuel resistent hose.
If the overflow was blocked off and the tank was venting due to hot weather,as long as it was only fumes and not liquid it should be fine.
The area that the vent in is open around the gas cap base.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I try not to ride in the rain much but it still happens.

Would that eventually cause water in the tank?

Is there any kind of pressure in the tank that would be effected by the tank not being only seeled by the cap.

It could also be the reason why the fuel usage has gone up a lot.

Is the cap ment to have a o-ring around the outside to seal it or is there ment to be a gap?

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
I hadn't thought about water :doh which could get between the cap base and tank.
Yikes..You would need to block the vent hole in the tank,but if that area filled with water,when you open the cap it would go into the tank itself via the filler hole.:banghead
The plot thickens..no riding in the rain or washing the bike :laugh

The tank cap would still vent though via a small checkball and spring which is under the cover at the base.

I
Is the cap ment to have a o-ring around the outside to seal it or is there ment to be a gap?
That would be the problem,it is not sealed and the cap vents into that area.Water could go in the opposite way as above.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...I had the bottom weld break on one of my TLS tanks...Suzuki Japan was happy to be talking to me when they replaced it FOC (and not my lawyer or widow)...it luckily didn't catch fire as it dumped the entire contents of the tank out the over flow tube about 5 cm from the hot header...

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I had the same problem (cracked overflow tube inside tank:banghead ),what I did after a lot of buggering around was, block off both ends of the pipe with some liquid steel .I was at odds to do this but didn't seem to have a lot of options available .In retrospect it doesn't seem to have caused any issues and has fixed my fuel leaking problem + eased my fears about getting water in the tank ,so...:fire away I say .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts