TLZone Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me start out by saying that I'm an idiot for not checking my equipment. Yesterday, I put my 2001 TL1000R on a battery charged set to 12 volts. What I neglected to notice was that the charger was set at 50 amps! Yes 50 amps.

Needless to say, I boiled the crap out of my battery so I purchased a new Yuasa AGM battery.

What I'm wondering is if there is anything else that could have possibly been damaged by such an overcharge. I wouldn't think that the stator or rectifier regulator would be harmed because the bike was off.

Should I look out for other problems due to this bone-headded overcharging??

·
Registered
909 Posts
The battery itself is capable of providing 100's 0f amps, so I don't think anything would have been damaged by the 50amp charger.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Any damage would largely have been a function of the time the high current was being applied. The conditions during a heavy current discharge such as in starting are not quite the same as high current charging. If the charger was any good it should have detected the fully charged condition of the battery and shut off before any damage was done. I suspect the charger doesn't have any smarts so it just kept shoveling current and eventually electrolysis would start at which point say bye-bye.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts