TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Full story: My TLR did not come with the endcaps for the ram air tubes. The tubes just sit inside the side fairings and don't seal up well at the frame. I just ordered a pair, but I started thinking:

If I made an extention that flared out: that is, cone shaped and have at least twice the open area of the OEM opening; anyone think there would be a noticeable horsepower gain at speed?

I think, yes, because the air coming in would be 1. Doubled in volume, and
2. much more compressed and dense.

The only drawback might be the the increase in wind resistance may be equal to or greater than the gain.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
At some point I looked up the physics on this, but now can't remember quite how it all works out. I'm pretty sure its a lot more complicated than you indicate. You definitely won't get close to double the volume of air (volume and pressure will be tied to eachother anyway as the amount of volume the engine will ingest will remain constant, so you'll only get more air in by squashing it up more). I'm not sure if a funnel like device will give more pressure though. N2wheelies or one of the engineers should know for sure though:hail

·
Moderator,
8,234 Posts
Someone call a stodgy old mechanical engineer?:confused It won't be worth your time and trouble.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
To get any sort of pressure in the airbox you'd have to address all the leaky joints too. The ramair system doesn't give much positive pressure (it does give a small amount of +ve IIRC), but it does eliminate any negative pressure (which is the result of no ram-air, on a dyno for instance), from those two big pots sucking in air 90 degrees apart. From what I've read, you are better off enlarging the existing airbox:O

Having said all that, I am familiar with the S system; but I think the general principles are the same....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone call a stodgy old mechanical engineer?:confused It won't be worth your time and trouble.
You are probably right. I am going to make moulds of the end caps when I get them, and make mine in CF. Probably offer them to forum members as well.

It really isn't much harder to pour out some polyurethane foam and shape them. I got the idea from my Audi Twin Turbo A6. The shrouds for the intercoolers are shaped that way to provide more cooling and its been tested to be very effective.

The point of Ram Air itself is to effectively reduce the amount of vaccum or even create a little boost like a supercharger or turbocharger. Even at 0 PSI the engine creates a good amount more horsepower than at full vacuum.

Our bikes have an intake pressure sensor don't they? Would it then be said that the ECU has some computation to increase fuel respectively?

It was just a thought. Definitely have to improve the seals between the tube/frame and airbox/frame. It'd be really tough to prove any gains as well, since they don't have dyno's in 100mph wind tunnels :banghead

....on another subject. I do love the emoticons on this site
:milesb
:crashtd
:davcruz

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The ones Yosh used stuck out a long way and are not cut at the same angle as the fairing they are perpendicular to the front.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
You could put a funnel 1 metre in diameter on the front of the ram tube and it wont make much difference. (If you enlarged the size of the tubes, It'll give the potential to supply more air if needed, but wont affect the pressure in the airbox if the standard ones already supply enough air for the engine)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could put a funnel 1 metre in diameter on the front of the ram tube and it wont make much difference. (If you enlarged the size of the tubes, It'll give the potential to supply more air if needed, but wont affect the pressure in the airbox if the standard ones already supply enough air for the engine)

Well, then. That answers that.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hey is SB360 still kickin? Looked like there was a lot of interest in his Carbon Fiber and then since May it died? No ties to AECarbon is there?

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
I got a set of chelpa in the old days didnt make any diff to power gain.
...now there's a name I wish I hadn't heard of... is he still floating around the boards = he hadn't returned PM's in quite some time...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts