TLZone Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just got my project running for the first time(TL100R powered quad). What is normal coolant operating temp for these engines? I want to make sure it doesn't overheat with the radiator combination I am using. Also, what temp does it need to reach before driving? What temp do fans turn on?

Couldn't seem to find some of this in the manual.

Thanks,

-Rob

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
160-190 normal operating temps.

fans kick in around 215-220. higher than that and there could be problems.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
right on operating temp, however fans usually kick on around 225ish. 240º is the ultimate limit, according to the service manual

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
My fans come on at 218, off at 214.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
mine used to come on at 225, off at 218

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool. I just drove the thing around for a little bit and the highest I saw the temp was 191 from idling. So if let it idle and it never goes above 225 then I'm good with this radiator setup?

Thanks,

-Rob

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I'd say it's workin just fine :thumbup

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I just drove it around some more. When driving it it stays around 180F but if I keep idling it creeps up, got upt to 110 and I didn't have the fans on yet so I cooled it down and turned it off. If you guys sit and idle your bikes will it get to the 218F or whatever to turn the fans on?

Here are a few pics. It looks nasty right now, I have to work the bugs out then build some fairing pieces including something over the air box. Then it all comes apart to finish welding and paint it.

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr224/classicfordguy0/IM004772.jpg
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr224/classicfordguy0/IM004773.jpg
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr224/classicfordguy0/IM004774.jpg
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr224/classicfordguy0/IM004775.jpg

Thanks for the help,

-Rob

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
lol..that thing looks crazy! :)

you'll need to get the fans going..they don't operate until a certain temp (obviously varies a bit). It's not uncommon at all for peoples TL's to get that hot while moving in heavy traffic that reduces speed and airflow. Yer looking for the fans to come on, cool it down a bit, and shut off...then come back on once it creeps up again. Wire that all up and you'll be good to go, should be able to sit and run as long as you want.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
FWIW the fans are controlled by an independant thermoswitch in the radiator, the ECU doesn't control them, so unless your radiator set-up has a thermoswitc hand the fan plug is lugged into it, they'll never come on.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The pigtails are on the wiring harness for both fans. My upper radiator is the one that came on the banshee four wheeler but I bought a TLR lower rad with the temp sending unit in it, I assume thats the one you mean? My plan is to put the fans on the upper radiator since thats the way it is on the TLR.

-Rob

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
It runs hot. FWIW, the manual says 224 fans come on. 248 it's getting hot. 284 shut her down before you do serious damage.

Mine, when running with airflow and all sticks at 190. As soon as I stop it starts creeping up above 200.

The trick is to get that thermostat on the right temp. TL's can suck if you run them too cool.

C

·
Registered
120 Posts
The trick is to get that thermostat on the right temp. TL's can suck if you run them too cool.

C

man, I was affraid mine was running hot all the time. while driving it stays around 183-186 while idling it sometimes gets up to 194-196 but thats the hotest I've seen mine get so far. what happens if you run them to cool??:confused id think that running cooler would be better for this bike. wouldnt it?

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
The pigtails are on the wiring harness for both fans. My upper radiator is the one that came on the banshee four wheeler but I bought a TLR lower rad with the temp sending unit in it, I assume thats the one you mean? My plan is to put the fans on the upper radiator since thats the way it is on the TLR.

-Rob
Sounds like you've got it under control :thumbup

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
man, I was affraid mine was running hot all the time. while driving it stays around 183-186 while idling it sometimes gets up to 194-196 but thats the hotest I've seen mine get so far. what happens if you run them to cool??:confused id think that running cooler would be better for this bike. wouldnt it?
It's like when you first start it and run it on the cold map. The cylinders have an optimal temperature where the atomized gas hits and vaporizes. Too cool and it won't vaporize (as much) so you won't get an optimum mix thus an optimum burn.

C

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's like when you first start it and run it on the cold map. The cylinders have an optimal temperature where the atomized gas hits and vaporizes. Too cool and it won't vaporize (as much) so you won't get an optimum mix thus an optimum burn.

C
I learned something new today... :banana

eta- do you know what the "optimal temperature" is?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts