TLZone Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently having a few parts powdercoated and chromed. But one part was sandblasted by mistake.

The steering stem...

Is this going to be a problem upon re-assemble ??? as it was originally machined smooth.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
the bearing races have to slide over the original smooth finish, the clearance might be different now too :O doesn't sound good in my opinion :no

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
What is said above is true - they rely on an "interference fit to stay in place :rolleyes

However ....

If the fit is such that the bearing races sit into the housing "snugly", with no slop or play, but just don't hold there very tightly, there are many "bearing fix" type products available to help hold them in place :)

something like this .... http://www.loctite.co.uk/int_henkel/loctite_uk/index.cfm?pageid=109&layout=2

:O :)

Sorry, bad link - it was this:

Solutions for Car Care & Maintenance » Mechanical Assembly » Assembly - Adhesives » Quick Metal™ 660 - Press Fit Repair (with Activator 7240)

Quick Metal™ 660 - Press Fit Repair (with Activator 7240)

A creamy, non-running gel which is applied onto cylindrical parts to fill surface imperfections and repair worn areas. It contains no metal, but once assembled hardens to a strength that often doubles that of a press fit. Use 660 to salvage worn metallic parts or to keep machinery running until new parts arrive. 660 remaining outside the joint does not dry, allowing for easy clean up.

Applications
Used for repairing worn coaxial parts without requiring machining; enables re-use of out-of-true bearing seats, keys, splines, tapers, or for retaining of shims.

Specifications
• Strength Required: High
• Handling Strength (at room temperature on steel joints): 20 min.
• Diametrical Clearance: up to 0.5 mm
• Temperature Resistance: 150°C

Technical data sheet:
http://65.213.72.112/tds5/docs/660-EN.pdf

·
Moderator,
8,244 Posts
Unless they really laid into them with the sand blaster they problably didn't change the size of the stem enough to matter, if at all. If you want to be certain the easiest way is to measure the diameter and see if it's within spec. If it is out of spec, replace it.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I have a spare TLR lower and stem with bearigs/races and nuts if you need it.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
How much would you like for it ??? + shipping to Australia.

cheers
If he doesn't need it, I will give it to you for shipping sir.:)

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Ok, I am having a tough day, if you want it, PM me and I will ship it early next week. I will cover shipping. Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
But one part was sandblasted by mistake.

The steering stem...

Is this going to be a problem upon re-assemble ??? as it was originally machined smooth.
If it has been "beadblasted" ? it would be fine as far as the alloy stem.
Even the lower bearing cup (if it had not been removed) would probably polish up or be an easy replacement.

It would be hard to get a quality powercoat job if the seal was still on ?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
kick ass

Ok, I am having a tough day, if you want it, PM me and I will ship it early next week. I will cover shipping. Merry Christmas!
now thats awesome..... nice one Doug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hail

1 - 17 of 17 Posts