TLZone Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, this is my last chance with my TL1000S. Some of you all know me cause for the past year (literally) I've been trying to figure out what's wrong with my bike. EVERY SENSOR has been switched out, EVERY VACUUM LINE replaced. I've HAD (repeatedly) the TB synced, I've had the PCII removed (and it still does the same thing). I've had the INJECTORS clean (even switched). It's NOT throwing any FI lights, nor anything coming up on any shops computers. I've had the VALVES readjusted, the FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR replaced, and have had the REGULATOR and STATOR changed as well (those needed replacing). ALL COILS and WIRES are good as well as the FUEL PUMP. Cylinder COMPRESSION is good.

BUT the bike continues to foul out the REAR PLUG within 30 minutes to a day. It's constantly back-firing (since the plug fouls for some reason until or IF it clears up) and just loses all power (unless the plug get unfouled, then it runs normally). I've seriously within this year put well over $1500 trying to get it fixed with no luck this past year. If there is any help that can be offered, please do so, but please DON'T tell me to get anything I've listed here check again. Three shops later, the same things done to it, you can see where I'm aggrevated with this bike now. I was told by my local shop here that the only thing it CAN BE is a TUNING issue. I'm taking his word and am getting it tuned (AGAIN). If this doesn't fix the problem, I'm offering my bike up for sale for cheap (seriously, it's gotten to be a money pit).

Only mods on the bike are PCII, D&D exhaust, sprokets swapped out (these were already done on the bike when I bought it), airbox mod w/ K&N filter. I've had the bike for 4 years now, and 3 out of the 4 years have been REALLY GREAT, but this last year has been a nightmare and a half. If there is anything else I am missing, or should have checked, please let me know.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I would try a different ECU.

Tuning? I assume the ecu hasn't been tuned with a Yosh box?

i'd try and find another ecu to swap, even if temporary, and make sure it's not been changed with a yosh, remove pcII and fire it up.

·
Premium Member
24,849 Posts
Flash the ECU to stock with a yosh box, remove the PCII and see if it still does it. Also, it isn't really possible to test the coils/wires, you've got to try new ones to really rule them out and the coils/wires on the TLS are quite poorly made and trouble prone imho. The only time I ever fouled a plug, it was due to a faulty coil/wire. The coil tested fine in terms of resistance and externally it and the wire looked great (even tried trimming back the wire just a bit at each end etc). A new coil/wire and problem solved.

·
Premium Member
8,248 Posts
:stupid How do you KNOW the coil and wire is good? I'd swap out the rear coil/wire and put in new plugs.

If that fails, I'll give you $4.15 for the bike. Well, you said cheap..."laugh

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Nah mate - bikes ****ed, give it up.......how much you want for your D&D's and K&N filter???:laugh:laugh:laugh.

Seriously, good luck trying a new/borrowed coil; could be this'll fix your problems??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's stock setting, and it's only has the PCII and fouls it even when removed. I've had the coils and wires swapped out about a year ago, even with another TLS the shop had sitting around to see if it fixes the problem. Even had the ECU swapped and, and didn't solve it. This is where I'm constantly walking in circles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had the coils/wires swapped out with another TLS that was sitting in the shop, not to mention had new ones put in to make sure it wasn't the problem. I'm still experiencing the problem, not to mention all 3 shops (one who owned a TL himself) is stumped like mad.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
How did it start?
Was it after some work or just shit out on you one day?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
You could buy a low mileage motor for what you've spent on it:banghead

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,348 Posts
Have you done a compression check ?

If the rear valve seats are pitted or burned then it will always foul the plug as there is no compression.

I assume it doesn't burn oil from bad rings when it is running ?

Where in the world are you ? If you are in the UK and fancy a trip to York I'll gladly sort it for you :thumbup

·
Registered
326 Posts
Is it fouling Oil? The rear head is running harder than the front under normal conditions. It may be the valve guide in the head. It may have a bad seal in the guide causing the oil to seep through into the piston and that will foul the plug. Also check the Guide itself for wear as that will also cause it to seap. The Compression check will still pass with this problem.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,348 Posts
The guide is a possibilty but I've never come accross it on the TL engine, even when the seals popped off my bronze guides it only smoked a tiny bit on the overrun.

The seat burning is pretty common though on the TL, the exhaust valve seats sink at the nearest point to each other :thumbup

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Did they put CR9EK plugs in it? My first TLS would foul every CR9EK you installed. The bike needs CR8EK plugs. My second one did it once. Every shop, other than the original dealer always tried to sell me a CR9EK for the TLS even though it is the wrong plug. It is worth a look, plus it is the rear plug and the easiest to get to.

If it is a Denso, should be a U24ETR Denso plug not a U27ETR which is for a TLR. If it isn't either of these and is irridium, should be the 8 not the 9. If it is anything else, put a CR8EK in it.

The plugs matter in a TLS. Give it a shot.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
I guess I should add on. Let the bike get over 100° F before you ride off. Don't shut it down unless temp is over 120°F, that also helps prevent fouling TLS plugs. My TLR wasn't as sensitive to fouling.

If the plugs are wrong, I would go kick the shop in the nuts and try and get some cash back.

·
Registered
122 Posts
you said you had the vales checked, how hard did they look at the cams? a worn lobe will still give good compression but will cause plug fouling, although you should notice a performance difference and poor idle.
On the other hand wiring harnesses on these bikes are getting old, could be something as simple as a broken wire, pin backed out of a plug, bad connection.
sometimes the simplest of problems are the hardest to find, and the easiest tu overlook.
good luck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.