1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I posted earlier about my RH fork compression
adjustment screw being hard to turn, one click in either
direction if that, and it felt as if debris stuck in threads.
So I proceed to take said fork to well known shop for
insight and possible repair. They tell me leave it with them
for a bit and they would let me know the damage.

I return hour or so later and they tell me its fried and
there's nothing they can do. Come to find out all they
did was take a large standard screwdriver and forcefully
turn the screw back and forth until something snapped off
inside! What f**king Awipes, I told them I could have done
that myself of course only after smoking a huge pipe full
of crack!:banghead :coocoo

So I'm going to drill out set pin next to screw and try
and remove adjuster. Has anyone tried said operation?
Will try to find a wrecked or
totalled fork for adjuster transplant if possible.
Anyone have a dead TLR fork laying around?

My bike is garage kept and is a pristine example of
a bike GOD designed for us mortals...........I am beside
myself.
If I don't figure this out, I must go into
exile like Yoda did.:dowhat :laugh

Please reply with any and all ideas
BLOCKHEAD

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
So they destroyed the cap? Do you have a picture? I will look around and see if I have one. That shit pisses me off. If you can't fix it, I would have been able to do it, but the outage at work will keep me busy through October. Sorry, I will see if I have a cap. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Here is a link to my pages on fork disassembly see if you can find a picture with the part, and give me the number and I will see if I can help you out.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Please name the shop that did this to your bike! Think members here need to know who they are & that shop needs to be avoided! There should be a few good shops in the Vegas area. One of my friends that lives out there & races in the WERA series is supposed to be at the Cali Speedway this weekend & I will ask him for a referral. You can always check in with Dale Kieffer's Racer's Edge Performance to see who they think you should be dealing with. Dale has been racing many, many years & has been out in Vegas for quite a while now. He will be at the Cali Speedway & the Race Tech race support crew will be there as well. I will ask Randy or Alex how to do this & get back to you on Monday. Take some pictures & post them up please. Did the adjuster screw just pop out & leave a cylindrical hole in the fork bottom?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
That reminds me of when I went to the "pros" at my local Yamaha shop . I wanted to remove the Bar end cap and it wouldn't budge even with one of those impact drivers that you hammer on. (permanant loctite must be) So I figures take it to the mechanic at the yamaha shop maybe he has a way to do it. I brought the bike around back of the shop and asked if the guy had a way to remove it. So the genius puts an airpowered impact gun on the philips screw and strips it in a heartbeat. Because the guy did it as a "favour " I couldn't really take it up with the manager. :banghead I then realized that a lot of mechanics are Ijits...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The adjustment screw is still in fork bottom
and still clicks but is connected to nothing internally
anymore and does not move in or out when turned in either direction if you know what I mean. There seems to be a retainer
pin that holds assembly in place on the cast sleeve of adjuster.

Thanks Tlsdoug and Mr.dobalina......I had Racers Edge
on the brain but after talking to MTC they sounded as
if they could handle it.:banghead
Tlsdoug had a pic of the area in question. Set pin on top,
adjuster on left. Was going to have gold valves, bushings and
such installed when instead found adjuster problem.
So now in a total limbo. I guess I'll drill set pin out to see
damage unless that pin has nothing to do with it,
what do ya think? Tlsdoug you can still use screwdriver on
adjuster with no problem, I just can't imagine what has
happened internally?

Attachments

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
That pin

that looks like it is holding your adjuster is actually the back of a small brass cup pressed into the fork. Under that is a tiny spring and ball bearing. The cup will get destroyed removing it, so find a bent donor fork to cut apart and remove that cup undamaged so you can reinstall it with your new adjuster.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
If you can get a bent one, you can change the end, but there is loctite involved, you need to heat it.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
:stupid

when I had my radial mount for bottoms installed on my ohlins, I brought it to GMD computrack, and had them do it. they do that stuff in their sleep, so I also ahd them revalve/respring it and my rear too :thumbup

not sure if theres one near vegas though :O

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
If this is the compression needle adjuster you are talking about at the bottom of the fork, you can buy a replacement compression needle assymbly from GP Suspension that is better than the stock one any way and just change it out.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I work at Traxxion Dynamics. Probably 98% of our business is from people who ship their forks to us from both coasts. I would definitely send them to a suspension shop, somebody that does forks all day long. Just wrap them up and put them in a box. I have never had a set of forks damaged in shipping. A lot of motorcycle shops and race shops ship their customers forks to us. Our turn around is under 5 days, and I imagine any suspension shop would be able to have a short turnaround right now bc race season is about over. We have stacks of bent forks that we buy for spare parts. I can recommend somebody on the west coast when I go back to work on monday. We are in atlanta, shipping to us would just take 4 days or so ground.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's a few pics of the fork end, was going to
drill out pin but I will wait till monday to....
1. Take fork to Racer's Edge and see what they think.
2. Call RaceTech which is I think a "Computrack Center"
for west coast for rebuild and repair.
3. Traxxion Dynamics for same.
4. GP Suspension for parts if repairable by me.
5. Buy a set of forks allready valved?
6. Contact "speedking" for tweaked forks I could use.
7. Contact "OldTLSDoug" for major insight on
swapping fork bottom.
Thank you all for the info, I'll keep you posted.
Until Monday........
TLZONE
:hail
:hail :hail
:hail :hail :hail
:cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Your pics show where ther is a little cap on the side of the adjuster, with the GP suspension kit needles which have finer taper by the way, you drill a small hole in the center of the cap heat with a propane torch, screw a wood screw into the small hole and grap the screw with vice grips and give it a yank. Under the cap is a small spring and a check ball, remove, unscrew the compression needle which will now come out and screw in the new needle, reinsert check ball, and small spring and drive in the new retainer cap that is part of the parts supplied by GP suspension with a bit of loktite and you are done. Be carefull drilling the cap to penitrate as small a distance as possible so you dont wind the tiny little spring onto the drill. I would sugggest you take the fork apart and remove the cartridge so you can clean the forks properly.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Good info Doug, I wanted to take that apart, but have been reluctant to do so.:dowhat

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Saw Race Tech Randy at the track today. Basically what OldTLSDoug was saying about laying the fork on it's side, heating up the part a little bit & unscrewing the assembly. There is loctite on it as Doug mentioned before. He agreed with Doug on using an old fork's comp damper circuit if you felt like going that route.

Spoke to Dale Kieffer as well & he said the MTC was "on the other side of town" but mentioned that his shop does service work as well. I think Dale has much, much more to lose than a stealership or an independent repair shop as he is Michelin's Western US Race Tire Distributor & Western US Roadrace Support guy. Dale is currently an instructor for Freddie Spencer's school, owns a shop & races in the WERA series, some AMA races on the West Coast & does an occasional WSMC race at Willow Springs all while providing track side race support. I think he knows a thing or two about bikes. FWIW - Dale's website is http://www.racersedgeperformance.com

I'm pretty sure that any very competant suspension tuning shop will do pretty darn good work. I keep posting up about Race Tech as they are based in So. Cali & I have worked with Race Tech Randy on a Hotbodies racing team & they provide suspension track side support at the WERA events I work at & all our track days. I know how well he knows his stuff. Worked with Jim Lindemann on Team Hypercycle, Red Bull Suzuki & Lion Racing & he also knows his stuff & won't rip you off. But most of the other regional guys, Thermosman, Max McAlister @ Traxxion are all very knowledgeable & local guys back East give those guys kudos as well. There is a reason for that I'm sure! Think you learned where not to take stuff now & thanks for giving us the heads up. Was a long day at the track today with sustained winds at 25 to 30 mph all day long :^(. Time to get some sleep...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Doug, OldTLSDoug, Mr.Dobalina, Vandriver,
TLR-Billbo, danny never,and of course pencon for
of your time and insight. My forks on this bike are
like brand new, showroom new,and want to keep it that
way. I didn't want to throw it out because it fits the
imaculate bike it came off of. If you know what I'm
talking about, then you can understand how I feel.

I didn't have that "I'll get it fixed" feeling until
all of you chimed in. I think I was still in shock, but
I feel much better now and I thank you for that.

My adventure starts on Monday,
I let ya know what happens.....:hail

BLOCKHEAD

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi All,
I decided to send forks to GP Suspension. I chose GP
on the fact they design and produce their own valves and
compression needles (adjusters) in house. I'm having
them completely revalved, resprung and new compression
needles installed as per my initial problem at a great
price. I was impressed with their ability to understand
what the problem was immediately, oh and did I mention
the great price? I will know more once they recieve my
forks and let me know if its repairable at all.

I have me fingers crossed:dowhat

BLOCKHEAD

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well Dave at GP Suspension called and told
me the compression needle threads are stripped
out, not repairable. So much for crossing my fingers.
Now I just have to find a right hand TLR fork
preferably a damaged one with a clean bottom on it.

GP Suspension will swap it out when I locate one.
If anybody has a damaged right hand TLR fork available,
or know where to find one,please reply.
I'm back where I started but hopefully
this will be remedied soon. Fingers crossed again.?
BLOCKHEAD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts