TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking about this motard thing, but can't spend the money on something new. I was thinking of looking for an old four stroke enduro and slowly putting money into tarding it out. Anyone here do anything similiar, or is everyone just buying new bikes?

I don't need/want the latest greatest, just thinking of something that's already street legal, I can put new rubber on and go from there.

C

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
should be straight forward enough. best bet is to get some different wheels that you can put sticky tyres on. should be loads on e gay.... chances ar you might have to get some spacers made up so the chain and discs all line up.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Lots of people do it. Pretty straight foward, but rims can be pricy even if you lace them to your stock hubs. If you can fit cast street-bike style wheels you can save a lot of cash, but its going to be some work most likely.

The fortunate thing is they make fairly sticky tires in 21/18 (i.e. stock dual sport/enduro sizes) and pretty much all racing orgs have a "sportsman" class which requires that you run stock wheels. So you can buy your old enduro, put streetish tires on it and ride like that for a while and have great fun. Then fit 17's as you find them.

have fun

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I think RS125 wheels aren't to wide, look good and are made to have one big disk..? Maybe an option..

·
Registered
152 Posts
RS125 wheels are built pretty light (I've got a pair of RS125 Dymags sitting here next to me that I've been measuring up for an RR project), and the sprocket drive is probably not up to a big thumper (I veglia recall someone with a YZF450 Tigcraft mentioning they'd broken the cush drive on a 125 TZ or RS wheel very quickly). The RS wheels are also designed for 15mm axles front and rear, and the bearings aren't any bigger than they need to be so you are going to have trouble converting to a bigger diameter axle.

I've seen several DR350 Suzukis with what look like GS500 wheels on them. Suzuki is often pretty good about using similar components/measurements on different bikes.

A friend set up an XT550 for street use and likes it a lot. Back in the late 70s/early 80s there were a fair number of XT500s being roadraced in the AFM 600 Production/Modified Production classes.

cheers,
Michael

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
If you are way on the cheap, just buy an old dual sport and ride it with the stock wheels and some Trail Wing tires. You would be amazed at the grip offered by these tires for general street hooligan duty, and you have some incidental off road capability.

J

·
0 Posts
Duken4evr said:
If you are way on the cheap, just buy an old dual sport and ride it with the stock wheels and some Trail Wing tires. You would be amazed at the grip offered by these tires for general street hooligan duty, and you have some incidental off road capability.
+1

you can drop the forks a bit and it will turn faster and even the 21" front is capable even to track days. I used to do trackdays on my honda dominator with trail wing TW48 tyres passing most of the guys from the outside.

cast wheels are not very strong, they bend easily if you jump or crash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts