TLZone Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know there are loads of threads about what gearing evryone is running, but i want to know what makes a noticeable difference, but too everything.

Example, if i go down 1 tooth on the front, how much of a difference would it make to:

acceloration, top end, mpg, speedometer/odometer.

cheers.

·
Moderator,
8,251 Posts
:fire

Sorry, couldnt' help myself.:laugh

I went 1 down in front. Acceleration is noticeably improved. Top end went from about 164 to 156 mph, give or take. MPG was virtually unaffected. I have an R which is about 6.5% fast on the speedo before regearing. it was around 12% too fast after. If you lower the gear ratio the speed will be off, but I can't say hwo much on the S. Either way, a SpeedoHealer took care of teh problem pronto. :thumbup

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I've gone +3 on the rear.. It's been a while since i done it so can't say what difference it made :laugh

Would have gotten better acceleration and less top end (not sure how much)

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
dont go down on the front.......it'll rip into swing arm guide/protector in no time.....will also effect your anti squat too...best go up on the rear.......+2 will make things a little fun....+3 or 4 and the front wheel will never be on the floor.....lol
you loose theoretical top speed.....i think they're geared to hit 180.......but that wont happen unless you have 150 bhp.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
:stupid

I just did +2 on the rear and like it :yes I think my speedo reads 5-10mph more than I'm actually doing and its putting more miles on my odometer than I'm actually going. I'll probably get a speedo healer soon.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,856 Posts
www.wotid.com/tls I have a gearing calculator there as an excel spread sheet with 'observed' speeds vs. rpm and theoretical maximums.

I was running +2 on the rear for a long time and then went +4 without knocking anything off the actual possible top speed of the bike. The advantage of +2 is that you can use the standard length chain.

I was also running a yellow box speedo calibrator to keep the speedo / odo accurate.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
if you do a bit of touring and freeway riding gearing the bike down causes you to run a fair few rpm higher is i found anoying, so i went back to stock.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
-1 in the front and +2 on the back make for a fun ride in the stoplight traffic of Japan:thumbup

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
+2 on the rear here and I really like it. It's still ok on the hwy since it was geared so ridiculously high from the factory. Running a 180/55 tire reduces the impact on the speedo error, fwiw. According to the kind officer who clocked me to check my speedo error (after writing me a ticket) I was running 38 mph at an indicated 40 mph. That was more accurate than I expected.

·
Registered
593 Posts
-1 front/+2 rear...noticeable diff in acceleration...no problems with chain guard since it was removed and discarded...would go up 1 more on rear if i ever change gearing again...have fun...the choice is yours...

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...so whatcha gonna do?:eatcorn

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
am going go go 2up on the rear and see what the difference is, thanks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Up 4 in the rear for me. less lugging out of first and feels like it has more torque. I weigh 250 lbs and love the way it behaves now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts