TLZone Forums banner

oil warning light

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  snowblind 
#1 ·
as the title says when i turn the bike on a warning comes up to check the oil,had a look at the lvl and its bang in the middle of the upper and lower limits so,is this a known fault or maybe just a sensor gone wrong.had my first proper ride on it this morning and after about half an hour i stopped and there was a fair bit of oil on the right hand engine casing.cleaned it up,rode home and there was more oil again but nowhere near as much
this is my first tls so any help much appriciated
cheers :)

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
you will get "chec" on the dash for a number of reasons and none of them are for oil

the check comes on if the side stand is down and in gear of the red kill switch is turned off

the oil light will be on as there is no oil pressure when the bike is not running

the oil on the right hand side will be more likely a leaky waterpump oil seal if its toward the front and up a little

pics will help

#4 ·
Welcome to the Zone Ghostmonkey. :)

When you first key on, it is normal that the red LED illuminates and the oil can icon flashes in the LCD window. This is because there is no oil pressure until the engine is started - just like a car. It allows the rider to verify that the warning indicators are functional. Once the engine is started, both of those indicators should no longer be showing.

the oil light will be on as there is no oil pressure when the bike is running

Stu_m, I'm sure you meant to say "when the bike is NOT running." Correct?

#3 ·
thanks stu,its the first bike ive owned that has warning codes etc.i got a haynes manual for it but left it at work,doh!
the oil seemed heaviest by the filler cap,but that was done up tight.ill try to get a pic 2mor.bike came with a 3 month warrenty so if it persists ill take it back to the dealer

#7 ·
ill go and have a good look 2mor for the oil leek,see if i can trace it,oil was heaviest around the oil filler cap/clutch cover.hope its nothing major
i remember one of the guys on the bandit forum had problems with the clutch cover leaking on his tl and no matter what he did he couldnt cure it
he knew his way around engines as well,think he just lived with it in the end.i could be lucky and maybe the bolts on the cover just need nipping up a bit

#11 ·
#12 ·
Mine's a 98 R and it still insists on trying to leak from the clutch cover (brand new last year). :banghead

Seems like every time it gets cold the bolts come loose. And for some reason it gets worse when its run up close to the rev limiter for any length of time. Can't imagine why. :laugh

There's a billet item on the to-do list.

#13 ·
The mattyj one is nice. I think they're still being produced
a user on here called aim
he maid the mattyj items

#14 ·
#17 ·
But make sure you get the right gasket
there's 2 part numbers for the cover
and 2 for the gasket

#20 ·
Call Chris at Franco's (02089601000) to see if he can do you a deal on the cover if you are buying new. Suzuki hiked the price on them something rotten recently. Nearly doubled as I recall. The outer went from something like £55 to £95. Don't know what vandriver is charging for his billet items but they may be a lot more cost-effective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.