TLZone Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to do an oil change as wondering why it had a slight pool on underside of sump plug. Noticed in the past it has been helicoiled, as thread been stripped. Unfortunately 2 strands of the coil have come out, but enough left in that the sump plug will tighten.

Was thinking about using a self tapping piggyback oil sump plug, with a smidge of jb weld nearer the sump plug head. Done it before on the Ducati and works well, but it’s a permanent fix. Either that, or re-helicoil or timesert.

Trying to find self tapping sump plug in M14x1.25 size seems to be rarer than hens teeth in the UK, seems like the last owner had really wound the sump plug in

·
Registered
15 Posts
Done 2 of them unfortunately... I've used the self centering/starting tap but have to be very careful of how deep you thread into case, their is a metal baffle clipped in that can be dislodged and distorted. VERY difficult to get back in place, I know, took me 4 hrs of removing both side cases and poking and proding and bending to get to sit in back channel and clip around front boss. Only other option is remove motor and split case. So if it is already heli-coiled, my advise is to remove the rest of the old coil, check threads and then insert a new coil with some loctite red.. Or if the timesert is the same ream out and thread as helicoil, use that, much more of a permant repair. Getting a self tapping plug will do nothing but destroy what good threads you already have and you need to get an even bigger plug since it's already reamed out from the helicoil. Take ur time and it will turn out ok..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve got timesert m14 x 1.25 pitch, but will try helicoil first. Start with easiest option. If it was an oil pan that came of bike, then it’s quite an easy repair, but will be working upside down! Hopefully get the rest of the helicoil out and get a new one in. Thanks 👍

1 - 3 of 3 Posts