TLZone Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, I haven't taken the faring off... LOL recently, during the warmup process, I can smell burnt oil... veru occasionaly when I drive, but when its cool and warms up...

right side of bike.

Obviously there is engine oil dripping on the exhaust.

Before I take things apart... is this a common failure? had this bike for years and its never done this... So I'm thinking a gasket, but which one?

·
Super Moderator
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,754 Posts
Welcome! Glad you finally visited the Zone! LOL

As Rick noted, the push rod seal is the most common, but sometimes the clutch cover will leak.

Lastly, it is possible to get oil from the water pump seal weep hole, but uncommon.

·
Registered
51 Posts
No, I haven't taken the faring off... LOL recently, during the warmup process, I can smell burnt oil... veru occasionaly when I drive, but when its cool and warms up...

right side of bike.

Obviously there is engine oil dripping on the exhaust.

Before I take things apart... is this a common failure? had this bike for years and its never done this... So I'm thinking a gasket, but which one?
I don't understand the point of this post? You have an oil leak, at some stage you're going to have to locate it, chat's best guesses aren't going to change that fact.
It could be coming from anywhere, that the smell is predominantly coming from the LHS could be because it's lent over on it's side stand when warming up.
Again, the oil could be coming from anywhere, even the airbox. Have a look around then update us.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Toss flour against the crankcase.
You should see the oil leak caking.

Like victim said and obviously six....

Wash the area with dish soap, then cover it with flour... The leak will cake up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts