TLZone Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya! :(

Before you respond (if you wanted to!), I haven't investigated fully yet, because I haven't got any spare oil and as always, it's happened on a bloody bank holiday weekend! :banghead (I.e. no-where is open!)

The bike hadn't been run for 4 years, then over the last few weeks I've been riding for longer and longer runs. Last Monday I did around 150miles in a day (a great day!). Then I rode again on 4th May with no problems (although I did check the top end), just put her away and lubed the chain.

Then on the 5th May, I did the usual warm up until 70F showed up and rode with low rev's, under a mile later smoke and slightly creamy oil pissed out. It came out the left hand side behind the front sprocket cover, very roughly. I killed the engine straight away as it continued to come out - it came out probably as quickly as if the sump plug was pulled from a hot engine. I free-wheeled it back home (luckily mostly downhill). One thing that's disturbing, is that the oil light didn't come on, even though it dumped around 2 Litres :dunno

I'll be looking at this ASAP because I love being back on the bike after recovering from a serious bike accident, but I just wondered if anyone else has suffered this severe kind of oil leak. So far I reckon it's not from the clutch pin area and the oil is in front of the front sprocket output, but ya never know.

Cheers....... :bawling

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Hopefully the gearbox output bearing hasn't failed.......

How tight was the chain ?

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good luck, bit of work for you i think, prob just seals after standing that long :)
That's a good point - cheers matey.

Hopefully the gearbox output bearing hasn't failed.......
How tight was the chain ?
After it dumped, I did start it up a few times for a few seconds, just to get me up the uphill bits and the gears felt fine. Chain/Sprockets were brand new (less than 200miles of use) and had 1.5 inches of slack.

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
Chris....shall I nip over after dropping my shock off at HM?

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, after good knows how many tries, I couldn't get the leak to stop :( So the local trusted bike shop has it. After getting back on the bike for a long time, I WILL NOT be thrown off bike a bike problem! :rant

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well... :(

At the bike shop for 3 weeks and 2 days and in that time they did about 2 hours worth of testing and decided the head gasket on the rear cylinder is leaking cylinder pressure into the crankcase. Crankcase pressure is blowing out the seal.

So tomorrow I'm going to get to it and change/check. Thoroughly pissed off, but that'll teach me for hoping friends/bike mechanics will help me.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Yep, 99.9% its not a head gasket !!

Fit the later vented rear cam cover and breather setup.

Then New pushrod seal and check pushrod isn't bent or rust pitting as it goes through seal.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Or....could it be that the crankcase is merely not venting properly? :O
I wish :( Checked all vents/pipes.

Yep, 99.9% its not a head gasket !!

Fit the later vented rear cam cover and breather setup.

Then New pushrod seal and check pushrod isn't bent or rust pitting as it goes through seal.
Already installed the rear cam vent - did that many years ago!

Cheers about the pushrod seal though, I'll check.

My mechanic friend just left an answer machine message for me, so I'm gonna check that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had a very similar experience. The oil behind the seal is pressurised to feed the gearshaft. the bearing behind the pushrod seal has a rubber covered metal shield seal to aid this. my shield broke and disintegrated causing the bearing to collapse the shrapnel shredded the pushrod seal and same oil ejection occurred . or the bearing collapsed and destroyed the shield. either way the swarf even wrecked the bore coatings. this was my third ride on a bike i got from Good ol Will. It was freaky cos the output bearing shield had also cracked and was well on the way to doing the same thing too. Motor was a write off.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bloody hell No.42, that's a real bit of bad luck you've had...I kinda feel lucky now!

Well I just wanted to update this thread, it crossed with THIS THREAD where :hail Sam :hail very kindly showed how the metal tab on the 'seal retainer' should have been bent differently. I bent it correctly and after 50 miles, not a drop is being spilled :banana

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Great to hear Chris. :hail

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers Cham :thumbup rode for an hour today (only a light drizzle after all!) and touch wood, all is well! :banana

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
I had a very similar experience. The oil behind the seal is pressurised to feed the gearshaft. the bearing behind the pushrod seal has a rubber covered metal shield seal to aid this. my shield broke and disintegrated causing the bearing to collapse the shrapnel shredded the pushrod seal and same oil ejection occurred . or the bearing collapsed and destroyed the shield. either way the swarf even wrecked the bore coatings. this was my third ride on a bike i got from Good ol Will. It was freaky cos the output bearing shield had also cracked and was well on the way to doing the same thing too. Motor was a write off.

Sorry mate but WHY have you bought a "'bike" from that ****wit :O PLease take this the right way but you must have money to burn or are a relation to the waste of space :rolleyes

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 17 of 17 Posts