TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has me boggled. I noticed a spot of oil along the left edge of my gas tank. My bike was on it's kick stand so that's most likely why the spot ended up there. I'm thinking to myself, how the hell did oil get there?? I put my bike up on it's stands and raised the tank. The underside of the tank around the fuel pump has a light coating of oil, weird. Not heavy enough that it's dripping, but when I ran my finger across the area oil built up on my finger. My first thought is it must be coming from the rear cylinder as it's located under the pump. I thought perhaps the vent line wasn't sealed or something like that. Here's the weird part. There is no residue on the rear cylinder valve cover area. Where could this oil be coming from. I looked around the airbox, and it's dry. It's gotta be the rear cylinder but I'll be damned if I can find it. I ran it for awhile and couldn't see anything. Really has me puzzled.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
There are a few threads and questions on this and you will find quite a few have had exactly the same problem, including myself.
I found it on the left hand side and it had dripped onto my fairing and if i ran my finger up on the lip of the inside of the tank there was the oil gunk there. However, asking here and the problem was the gasket on the fuel tank. Its not oil, but the petrol leaking on the gasket and it was making it look like oil. took the tank off, and cleaned it all up and sealed it , and hasnt happened since and im always checking....so check that.... :)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Yep, probably gas, have a close look around the fuel pump sealing area. When gas starts to dry up it looks a lot like oil.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are a few threads and questions on this and you will find quite a few have had exactly the same problem, including myself.
I found it on the left hand side and it had dripped onto my fairing and if i ran my finger up on the lip of the inside of the tank there was the oil gunk there. However, asking here and the problem was the gasket on the fuel tank. Its not oil, but the petrol leaking on the gasket and it was making it look like oil. took the tank off, and cleaned it all up and sealed it , and hasnt happened since and im always checking....so check that.... :)
That would certainly explain why the valve cover is clean. Did you just replace the fuel pump gasket, or what exactly did you do?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Yep. The fuel pump gasket is a somewhat notorious problem on TLR's. There are probably a couple dozen threads on it. Folks have done everything from replace according to the service manual instructions (gasp!), to welding the whole thing shut to trying every manner of glue. I'd advocate for the first option provided previous failed attempts haven't left your tank and pump mounting flange in poor shape.

The gasket is rubber and about $30. There are lots of little screws that secure it. They must be removed and re-installed gradually and in a certain pattern and then torqued very carefully to avoid warping the flange or tank. There's a page in the manual with the torque numbers and a dandy picture showing the proper pattern.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Oh, whatever you do, replace the fuel filter while you are in there.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I cleaned it up, and because im flooring business, i mixed up a part a and b sealant thats used on garage floors, and impervious for oil and petrol stains, and painted it on the bottom of the tank and it seals rock hard. No leaks now!. Doesnt help you really, but just give it a good clean up , and see how u go. Its just one of those things....probably designed by the guy who designed the wiring!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Did you just replace the fuel pump gasket, or what exactly did you do?

Thanks
I too had the same problem and simply replacing the fuel pump gasket fixed it. The gasket comes with new bolts with thread locker already applied. It's a relatively easy fix. However as someone already mentioned, follow the bolt tightening sequence and torque value exactly as described in the factory service manual.

·
Registered
44 Posts
First I used some non-hardening gasket "gunk", didnt work, then Seal-All, didn't work either, ordered the OEM gasket, cleaned the surfaces from all the crap I put on (this step was the longest), installed the new gasket, no leaks so far (knockin' on wood).
So save yourself the time and do it right, get the OEM gasket (I got it from BikeBandit.com, they have the part on the micro-fiche) and install it correctly and happy motoring will commence :)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Before ordering any parts I wanted to be sure it was indeed the gas tank leaking. I propped up the tank and let it sit for a few days while I was away on business. I looked this morning and the rag I put under there has gas on it. Plus I can see a slight film of fuel starting around the gasket. Looks like I'm replacing the tank gasket. Thanks to all who chimed in....I appreciate it :thumbup While I'm in there I may as well pull the motor and have the heads milled :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts