TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just how re-buildable are Ohlins shocks :O

I know where there's a bike with one on that I may be able to get ...... but it looks a bit poorly ..... the seals have gone, and I'd say it's been installed wrong, because the bottom casting, housing the eye that bolts through from the swing-arm, has cracked :dowhat Is it possible to get a separate part like that, and if so any idea of cost :O

I wasn't going to bother with it, but as I know the guy who is selling it, was thinking of letting him have my spare dumper (though I haven't got a spare link :banghead ) so he wasn't selling an unsafe bike ... so thought there might be some merit in the knackered Ohlins :O

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
All the stuff should be available - they are totally re-buildable, no idea on cost really. The sealhead should be <$75 (probably a lot less). Don't know about the aluminum bit - you could always get that welded if its hard to come by I suppose.

I'd go for it if it were me:yes

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Any decent suspension shop should have no problem with it. I just had my Penske serviced for a hair under 100 dollars.

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Ohlins shocks are completely rebuildable, I have computrack freshen mine up every other year.
The parts may not be cheap, but it's fixable for sure.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
and I'd say it's been installed wrong, because the bottom casting, housing the eye that bolts through from the swing-arm, has cracked
It's junk,that is a main casting...unless it was near free and you could repair and remachine it for next to nothing.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
The internals are completely rebuildable. Not sure if the external parts (spacers, rose joints, etc) are available.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
rebuildable but that bottom casting will NOT be cheap to replace :eek:mg

I can call the UK importers and try to find out if you want :O

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't get a chance to see him today, I'll have to get there in the week ...... it's the bit at the far left in Les's piccy that's cracked :dowhat and like he says I don't think it's worth the bother unless he's giving it away :confused Oddly enough, I dunno if that's a TLS one in the pic, but the bottom of this one is not as "rounded" as that one, and looks more like the casting at the other end in shape :O

Anyone got a spare linkage and operating arm for the original dumper :O

·
Premium Member
6,905 Posts
Spend £255 on a Hagon instead mate............

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spend £255 on a Hagon instead mate............
To be honest, I think the big issue with most S's is the SOAS, and unfortunately the Hagon, Ohlins, etc., does not overcome that :O In that respect the Bitubo at £300 offers better value :O

However, I have a couple of other ideas, and though not overly a fan of the SSSA, am watching Sam's project with interest because of the potential it offers ...... what works on a SSSA should work with a normal arm :confused

I'd be interested to see someone like Vandriver make a SOAS replacement or at least modifying one to take a grease nipple :O

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I have my ohlins (shock forks and damper) rebuilt last winter. I went to www.computrackboston.com but thats a tad far for you :lol

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
I'd be interested to see someone like Vandriver make a SOAS replacement or at least modifying one to take a grease nipple :O
I will post a pic of a billet V8SOAS after i see that.. :laugh

The main problem (besides lubrication) is the stock SOAS has a very low overlap due to the way it is constructed.
When the buffer rubber on the shaft hits the body there is still around 65mm (2.5 inchs) before the shaft support inside the body tops out.

I would think that Ohlins mentioned cracked the lower mount because it was mounted with the offset bushs the same which kicks the top inward.

Remember when i was trying to get a JMC TLR swingarm back in April.
Here are the prototype SSSA shock mount brackets from 2004 which i was mucking around with one day...Hmmm...They pick up all 6 mounting points and have no fuel tank problems etc...They went back into the scrap bin for another rainy day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts