TLZone Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, hope your having a great season filled with tl madness!
ok so im from canada,we have some gas stations that offer 94 octane.i usually put in 91 octane.after filling up,i was down shifting to slow for a stop sign, and she just died!! checked the kick stand and clutch sensors, checked fuses fuel pump seems to be priming,i can't find anything.
so my question is ,can a 97 tls take 94 octane? has this happened to anyone? I will be putting it in dealer mode later today to see if any codes come up.
any thoughts?
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Window Automotive parking light

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No just the c00 , pump is priming, battery good. I think it’s either the kick stand cut off, or maybe the run switch. I picked up a Honda st touring bike the day after she crapped out, so I haven’t really wanted to go thru it,even though I really love my tls’s (2) I’m gonna be completely restoreing her this winter.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Over here in the UK I always use 97-99 octane in all my bikes, they run much better on it. Funnily enough I've been in Alaska for the last 2 weeks and their super fuel is only around 90 octane. So that's all I've been putting in my rented R1250 GS. Sometimes as low as 87 if that's all the remote fuel stations have on the Dalton highway and the top of the world highway up to Dawson city in Canada.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Possibly a bigger consideration these days is the amount of ethanol in the gas. Personally I always use whatever I can buy with the lowest E number on it. This tends to be E5 98RON.
Not cheap but your engine will thank you for it. Ethanol can play havoc with fuel pump and injection systems, especially if it is allowed to sit for any length of time.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Over here in the UK I always use 97-99 octane in all my bikes, they run much better on it. Funnily enough I've been in Alaska for the last 2 weeks and their super fuel is only around 90 octane. So that's all I've been putting in my rented R1250 GS. Sometimes as low as 87 if that's all the remote fuel stations have on the Dalton highway and the top of the world highway up to Dawson city in Canada.
that's what ive always done as well with my cars and bikes.never really had a prob.so your in Alaska ,wow must be heaven for touring, not to mention all the other things.the r1250 is probably the ideal machine to be on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Possibly a bigger consideration these days is the amount of ethanol in the gas. Personally I always use whatever I can buy with the lowest E number on it. This tends to be E5 98RON.
Not cheap but your engine will thank you for it. Ethanol can play havoc with fuel pump and injection systems, especially if it is allowed to sit for any length of time.
yes, if my problem has anything to do with fuel,im sure it would be something to do with ethanol.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Over in Alaska there doesn't seem to be adding ethanol problem that we have in Europe. Didn't see it listed on any pumps at all. But their octane levels are much lower than ours. Mind you paying only a bit over $5.00 a gallon is so cheap compared the price in Europe.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crazy, in Canada it goes by liter, so today it’s at about 1.95 for regular gas. Super which is 93 octane is more than 2.20$ a liter. So there’s almost 4 litres in a gallon? Crazy. So are you still in Alaska? And are you planning on coming to Canada ever for a ride? If so maybe we can put together a touring plan.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Crazy, in Canada it goes by liter, so today it’s at about 1.95 for regular gas. Super which is 93 octane is more than 2.20$ a liter. So there’s almost 4 litres in a gallon? Crazy. So are you still in Alaska? And are you planning on coming to Canada ever for a ride? If so maybe we can put together a touring plan.
We rode over the top of the world highway from Tok to Dawson city via Chicken. Great bit of hard packed dirt and gravel road through the highest border crossing in the USA and got the little ferry over the Yukon River. Stayed 2 nights then rode back again.. wonderful scenery. I'm now back in the UK after a trip of a lifetime. You have some great unspoilt wilderness in the far north.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts