TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like every other day I'm inspecting my TLR and noticing another bolt missing from its cozy crevice. Under cowling bolts... Gone! Fairing stay bolt... Gone!!! Rear fender bolt... Gone!!! Instrument cluster bolt... Gone! Bolt and reflector from front tire.... Gone! Chain Guard screw... Gone!! Oh the joys of owning a TL. (Sigh...) I guess they've gone to a better place :confused

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought about it a while back, but then came to the conclusion they would be too difficult to remove for cleaning and repairs. Guess the alternative isn't much better though :(

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What really bugs me about it is that all my bolts are ordered OEM, so they cost $3.99 each and take two weeks to get to me. (yes I know OEM is foolish, but I love my bike)

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've had this kit in my Amazon.com wishlist for a while now.
TL1000R Motorcycle Fairing Bolt Kit
bolt_kit.jpg
I am missing a couple screws/bolts. But I'd also like to get rid of those sharp, pointy, "custom" bolts that the previous owner thought would look cool. Especially sine he only had 3 on there?! The rest are OEM. Someday I'll buy this kit and replace all the nuts/bolts/screws/clips. (as long as they thread in right) The 3 "custom" bolts the previous owner had on my TLR don't stay in very well at all.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The only thing I've actually seen fall off my bike is one of the 2 little nuts that hold the headlights in place, right under the speedometer. I didn't see it until it was on it's last thread. And watched as it fell off and must have flown out on the road somewhere. As many times as I've removed the plastics and all that stuff, I've never seen the nut again. I need to replace it soon, cuz if the other one falls out... I'd hate to see what happens to the headlights.
I would like to point out tho... Since I did the TB sync and put in some new spark plugs... I haven't lost anymore nuts or bolts. :)

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
What really bugs me about it is that all my bolts are ordered OEM, so they cost $3.99 each and take two weeks to get to me. .....
All the more reason to use a thread locker.

Loctite 243 (the blue stuff) is not permanent. It allows easy removal, but the nuts and bolts won't vibrate loose.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, I'm sold on the Loctite.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Could be worse... My mate turned up on his SV1000 the other day minus his swingarm castle nut and his centre engine mount.... :laugh
I remember posh johnny off here turning up at cadwell I think it was, and his rear axle was loose, :banghead

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not as bad as a loose axle or a missing castle nut, but I did loose one of the bolts to my fender once. Pretty bad considering there was only one in there to begin with. Got home, looked, and noticed my fender, regulator, and ECU all sitting on top of my back tire :crazy

·
Registered
394 Posts
Race teams apparently use blue hylomar or similar as it holds the bolts in but makes for easy removal. I have tried it on a couple of bolts during some winter work but not had chance to remove them. Yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts