TLZone Forums banner

NSR 50?

1K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  tlr69 
#1 ·
On the way home from Cresson, Henry (video man for LSTD's) rode with me and talked bikes bikes bikes all the way home; that was fun! he said my form looks good, and I'm riding fairly well. I told him, of all things on the track, I would like to drag a knee now and then! So he suggested He and I look into getting a couple NSR50's and to go to the Katy track (MiniGP track), and really start "going slow to go fast"! I've heard this statement over and over. So, I think I'm going to sell my RS50(80cc) (Aprilia) and look into an NSR50). I would of course still keep my TLR for the big tracks!

So, Im thinking this will be my next bike to learn on.
One more thing: When does one(me) look into learning more; as in a race school or cornering school? I would love to have some one on one attention and I take constructive criticizm very well!
Denee'

#2 ·
What's wrong with running your RS at the minigp tracks? Motor too big?

You should take a class as soon as you can I'd say. I did my first trackday with Keith Code's CSS and it was fantastic. Better to get the one on one instruction early on and get started with good habits than to have to learn them after you've developed bad ones.

I know that dragging the knee is a milestone, but don't try too hard. Focus on being smooth, working on your form, hanging off and getting faster. Sooner or later that knee will touch down and you'll freak out at first and nearly crash, then you'll recover and come off the track with a huge smile on your face. But get the other stuff done first.

#3 ·
No time like the present for a race/track day school:thumbup

My local honda dealer stocks NSR (and dream:drool) 50's. Super cool looking little bikes. I think I could get a knee down with the bike level:lol

have fun

#4 ·
I've been thinking in that same direction, but if I were you I would try to keep the priller'? I was thinking about an rs250 but don't really have much cheese right now, but a 50 or 125 might be where it's at?

#5 ·
ive never had a knee done

oh yeah, im slow

:banghead

:laugh

#6 ·
The little RS is cool, but big bucks for a 50.
I'd buy a nicely set up SV for that kind of money before buying the 50.
Like Jason said, don't focus on getting your knee down. Just focus on being smooth and your lines etc. and it will happen.

#7 ·
Yes Jasen! That's exactly what Henry said too. I haven't been very active this year and feel as though I'm getting back to my old self! Perhaps next season I'll take part in as many trackdays possible, and a school. I'm not seeking to whup anyone on the track but myself. For me is just self satisfaction, and of course being with friends!

The Katy track is very small; it was actually a go Kart track. They have many races Mini GP races there. They may not appreciate a large bike on the track; I don't know. I do know anyone may pay yearly dues (200 I think) and go there to practice whenever. I'll have to find out more on it. I"m thinking this may be a great entry for my daughters to play on a track too!
denee

#8 ·
The RS50(80) is a large bike?

#10 ·
I guess they are slightly smaller than your bike...

#12 ·
:dowhat that stinger is long and thin! djees..

Anyway, I think an NSR50 won't do it when a RS50 doesn't do it either. I've never rode an RS50 but had a NSR50 for 2 years. I don't know how fast they are allowed to go over there but over here they should only be capable of doin 35 en you are allowed to do 30. Of course mine did 80mph :devious with over 12bhp (allowed just 2 or so). I think that's a bit slow for on a track. I should have at least some go in it I reccon?

The way to go faster for you is a bike that doesn't need allot of pushing to lean in. Which feels solid, predictable (hence suspension, tires) and maybe a little more upright riding position? I still can't attack corners on my TL as I did on my bandit 6 which was way less built to do madness. On the bandit I almost entered corners at speeds I'd left them too! And because of their forgivingness you can do quite allot with them even in mid corner and it won't bite. I still have to put a knee down on the TL.. on my bandit i could do it alomost whenever I liked.. and that bike has way less ground clearance..!

So SV would be a good choice of weapon I guess.. maybe a 400cc V4? They aren't to big, are agile, not to hardcore and have a ok powerband so choice of gear won't matter to much..?!

#15 ·
Loki-TLR said:
maybe a 400cc V4?
:lol

When you can find those over here, they go for stupid money. If only we had a graduated licencing program, then we could get all the cool little 400cc bikes over here too.

#16 ·
Yeah, the NSR50 is a lot smaller than a RS 50 - I've sat on both. The RS50 feels like a skinny full sized sport bike, the NSR50 feels like the sport bike equivlent of a KX80. My mom's 5' tall or so and fits on a NSR50 really well - hey perhaps you should look into getting one jasen?

:lol

#17 ·
I would like an explanation as to why we can't have the smaller sportbikes here, such as: Zx2r (200/250cc Kaw). Seems only available in other countries. They would be perfect for what I seek, plus fit my daughters very well! But noooooooooo! lol

Someone from the Houston channel here contacted me and said his girlfriend is selling her F4i '02 for 4250, and I'm going to look at it soon. I just have been having the wants for a street bike.

Sometimes I feel like I have a problem with the bike thing! Going from one to another, just can't be happy with one particular bike! I'm sick people!!! lol

#18 ·
We don't get those bikes because they don't sell here. The amount of sales for a GSX-R400 would be so pathetic it's not worth bringing them here.

Other countries have graduated licencing programs, where you can't go out and be licenced to ride a GSX-R1000 right off the bat. You have to start small and work your way up. Since people are forced to start small, the smaller bikes get shipped there since they'll be sold.

I think we'd have a lot of the cool smaller bikes here and we'd also have better skilled riders if we had a similar program.

#19 ·
:stupid (only I'm not in favor of tiered licensing but that's another topic...)

Also a big factor is the cost of bringing a bike into the country. Its really expensive to certify the bike with the EPA, DOT and DEQ and the manufactures don't want to spend that cash upfront unless they are pretty sure they can distribute the expense over a huge number of sales. If it were much less expensive to introduce a new model I suspect we would get most of the small bikes the rest of the world does, even with the small demand for them - no reason honda would pass up selling say 1k small street bikes a year if there weren't any huge cost to doing so:)

good luck

#20 ·
N2wheelies said:
ive never had a knee done

oh yeah, im slow

:banghead

:laugh
I'm even slower then him, so slow I had to donate my pucks to "pucks around the world" or they were going to crumble to dust before they ever got scratched on the tarmac.

#22 ·
Denee, what do you want for the fiddy? :devious

#23 ·
Rifleman said:
I'm even slower then him, so slow I had to donate my pucks to "pucks around the world" or they were going to crumble to dust before they ever got scratched on the tarmac.
Yeah, Lohman, but your current pucks are wicked scuffed sir, you are a God among insects my friend!:hail :hail :devious

#24 ·
Well, I have it advertised on variious sites for 3200, but a young woman here in Houston is dying to have it. So I'm selling it to her for 2800, and she will be spending some time with me in learning how to ride. I have a couple smaller bikes to play with in teaching her. If she fails to be able to buy it, of course it will be reposted.
thanks,
dnee'

#25 ·
oH, then theres a guy here in Houston that his girlfriend has an '02 Honda F4i with low miles for about 4k, which Im hoping to look at this weekend, and probably buy. I'll be able to lurk the streets once again!!

#26 ·
I'll never make any money selling bikes!! lol I buy high, put alot of money into the bike, then sell for a loss! Darn! lol The bike is really really good condition! I hope it holds up for her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.