TLZone Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
November has cost a fortune...............

Near the beginning the dishwasher terminally ceased to function and had to be replaced.

The printer for the PC has started to play up.:dowhat

The eldest crunched a low wall down the side of her car.

Next was the cooker, that packed up and I had to get a new one of those.

Last week the tumble dryer died and that replacement is being delivered tomorrow...

When is it all going to end I say.:O

In the shower tonight and I notice the electric shower is playing up and leaking.:banghead

Also the central locking on the passenger front side of the Omega packed up today and I think I also need a new mass air sensor...............

So December is looking expensive too -- without any presents that will need buying.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Ouch!

If it's any consolation, in the past two months I've;

1- backed the TL into the wife's car... no damage on the bike but the car cost a LOT to fix the dents and scratches,

2- Spent a grand on the cat, http://www.tlzone.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79357

3- Discovered a leak in the basement;

Once that hole was open, noticed another... and another until;

One leak was fixed easily, the second appears to be runoff from the third;

That's directly under my patio door. The spring is going to be expensive with that repair and the repair of the basement.

I feel your pain.

What the hell is an electric shower???

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
I feel your pain ....... November houses my wifes birthday, my birthday, my sons birthday, two neice's birthdays, a god-daughters birthday, the birthdays of a now departed cousin and a grandfather, add to that buying a new shed, MOT'ing the car, and yesterday whilst I was having a shower the wife came running into the bathroom to say water was dripping through the ceiling onto the leather sofa - on closer inspection the seal around the base had gone, and now the living room ceiling will need re-artexing :banghead :banghead (anyone know if I can claim for that on the house insurance :confused )

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
Hmm got a ticket on Thanksgiving

27th I got my final judgement on a lawsuit and have settled that

blew up our dryer yesterday went out and bought a new set the wife had been looking for

still have a valve to have repaired on my wifes little car

4 birthdays and christmas right around the corner, but knocked out most of the shopping yesterday:)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I feel your pain ....... November houses my wifes birthday, my birthday, my sons birthday, two neice's birthdays, a god-daughters birthday, the birthdays of a now departed cousin and a grandfather, add to that buying a new shed, MOT'ing the car, and yesterday whilst I was having a shower the wife came running into the bathroom to say water was dripping through the ceiling onto the leather sofa - on closer inspection the seal around the base had gone, and now the living room ceiling will need re-artexing :banghead :banghead (anyone know if I can claim for that on the house insurance :confused )

Hi moose yeah you can claim that, my folks did about 6 years ago
Ally

·
Premium Member
6,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's true what they say 'ennit...

There's always some bugger worse off than you...:O

Moose, you need to stop your family shagging 'round February mate...

Coyo, Good luck with yer money pit.........

Streak, "blew up our dryer yesterday went out and bought a new set the wife had been looking for"

Smells like sabotage to me..:dowhat

Ally, Moose My understanding is that the normal rules are that you can claim for the damage caused but not the cause of the damage, ( so you can claim for the ceiling that gets wet but not the leaking pipe that caused the ceiling to get wet :banghead ) unless you have a policy covering accidental damage.

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
............. the normal rules are that you can claim for the damage caused but not the cause of the damage, ( so you can claim for the ceiling that gets wet but not the leaking pipe that caused the ceiling to get wet :banghead ) ............

That's what I thought / was hoping :) Already stripped out the old silicone sealant, letting the wall dry out, ready to re-seal tomorrow hopefully :)

(pain in the ass having to queue up and share the kids bathroom in the morning :banghead :laugh :laugh )

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
A shower powered by electricity to heat an element:confused
Seems simple put that way but on this side of the pond our hot water comes from a tank that holds already heated water so the shower is merely a place to stand and get wet, as opposed to the bedroom where you lay down to..... nevermind.

I guess it comes down to terminology.

·
Premium Member
6,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems simple put that way but on this side of the pond our hot water comes from a tank that holds already heated water so the shower is merely a place to stand and get wet, as opposed to the bedroom where you lay down to..... nevermind.

I guess it comes down to terminology.

We have that system too but can't you get the instantanous electric showers as well?

They are plumbed straight into the mains cold water and the water runs tho a very small, half litre or so, tank containing a 7, 8 or 9 kilowatt heater. The more you turn on the water the faster it flows and the cooler the water gets - and visa versa...
You just need a decent mains pressure or a good head of water....

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
In the last couple of years some new systems have come up that sound like this, except they're designed to run the entire house that way. I don't know anyone that has one and don't think they're catching on very well.

We have that system too but can't you get the instantanous electric showers as well?

They are plumbed straight into the mains cold water and the water runs tho a very small, half litre or so, tank containing a 7, 8 or 9 kilowatt heater. The more you turn on the water the faster it flows and the cooler the water gets - and visa versa...
You just need a decent mains pressure or a good head of water....

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
In the last couple of years some new systems have come up that sound like this, except they're designed to run the entire house that way. I don't know anyone that has one and don't think they're catching on very well.
...Japan has these but they are run off of LP gas or city gas and they work great:thumbup... in all the time we've been here, never run out of hot water for any reason...

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
This year...

Had to sell my truck (payments with bills were too much)

~4K in med bills.

Almost got divorced

Sold off everything Save for the TL and RGV.

$300 on the cage to get it running.

$200 for a spare engine for my truck. It's in the shop right now to have the engine swapped, that'll be about $500 or more.

$1500 for the truck.

$2000 in taxes this year on vehicle and property.

$800 for my eye surgery last week.

$5K or so on bikes alone this year.

Need to do some major work on the house. I'm about ready to sell it and stop working in atlanta everyday and move back to the farm.

So about $14,500 I'll spend this year in unplanned/extra expenses.

Hopefully this time next year I'll be working for myself and making more.

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts

Ah, what you are now talking about is what we call a "combi" boiler .... usually gas fired over here, and probably the most common method in use now :) Heats the hot water directly as it comes in from the mains - no hot water storage tank in the house, all hot water taps fed direct. The central heating system then runs on a sealed circuit with a pressure releif vlave, and is also able to replenish itself direct from the mains inlet. With all the cold supplies fed direct off the mains also, it means no hot or cold water tanks, and you only heat what you need to use :O

The downside is if you want to be able to have several hot taps on at once, pressure drops dramatically or you need a big incoming mains and boiler :dowhat You overcome that issue by using electric showers :)

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
November....I had three pairs of socks develop holes and had to be replaced. Sucked. $3.67 at WalMart. :banghead

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
I spent a lot in November too but with Christmas around the corner I'm almost ready. I feel I have everything I want (except a good job). I need to do something for my supportive wife. She stands beside me though everything. I'm painting the house but wonder what else I can do.

I bought a TV on credit I know. I only owe another 1650.00 out of 2800.00 so I think I'm doing okay. I bought the lumber for the wall entertainment unit for the TV $1000.00 I decided to quit my job (dowhat) I'm exciited.

I bought a van because our's went bad again. :banghead

I bought a bunch of other stuff too that I can't recall right now.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I have absolutely no idea how much I spent. I don't keep track cos it scares me:scared :scared

I don't even look at my bank statements.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts