TLZone Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi fellas. I am a new tls owner since yesterday. the bike is a 97 with 7500 miles, like new, all original except for yosh bolt ons and led brake light with turn signals integrated. when I got it I drove it and it ran real strong no problem. this morning, it started only if I would not give any choke, then died after 10 seconds. it did that 2 times. and then nothing. when I turn the key on, nothing works, No lights, No flashers, no cluster, no temp, No fi. only the neutral light works. Battery is full of charge. any ideas? thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
has the wiring harness been hacked up? sounds like a short somewhere. check all the fuses and make sure you have a good ground. others will pop in and give more advice im sure, theese guys are great!

·
Registered
153 Posts
oh....almost forgot...if ya would have bought an "r" it wouldnt do that.....and welcome aboard

·
Premium Member
6,908 Posts
where abouts you from?

you got an alarm fitted?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm from montreal, canada and the bike does not have an alarm system. I will check all connections and grounds when I have time this week end. anyways, i'll start the winter project by next week so I will be disassembling it... I was just wondering if anyone had has the same problem. it's probably an easy fix. thanks guys

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,858 Posts
It'll be the harness main ground wire.

It plugs into a fly lead that is attached to the -ve terminal lug. Black with a white trace. I don't have a picture of it, but it's been posted several times in the past.

The thicker ground lead goes from the battery to the engine, the other one is smaller and plugs into the harness via a splade lug.

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
:stupid ^^^^

Sure sounds like that - the reason neutral light works is because it gets its ground directly from the engine on a '97.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bike works now. well everything lights up. i did not start it, dont wanna wake up the kids.. but it seems fine. i just shaked a bit and pushed on the connection the black wire with the white trace, put back the key in the ignition and it worked.. i'll try it more tomorrow just to see if the bike will start and run good. but thanks a ton for the inputs.

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
Do a quality job of repairing/bypassing that connector - EVERYTHING bar the starter & spark plugs current return through that single connection - a high resistance joint there - even if your bike starts - will cause huge problems.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so i should change the connection? maybe it was just partially unplugged? it seems tight now and i will give it a shot in an hour to see if it runs fine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i know the guy i bought it from had just replaced the battery.. maybe that is one reason why it could have been loose..

·
Registered
418 Posts
Like the others said check the ground wire connection next to the battery.
It may have some corrosion which messes up the connection.
I replaced mines & unplugged all of my wire harness connection to include
some Dielectric Grease in all, it helps to prevent corrosion and seal connections by shedding moisture.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Like the others said check the ground wire connection next to the battery.
It may have some corrosion which messes up the connection.
I replaced mines & unplugged all of my wire harness connection to include
some Dielectric Grease in all, it helps to prevent corrosion and seal connections by shedding moisture.

i'll check every connections on the bike and put grease in them.. thanks v90. also the Bike would not charge correct. it would die after 3-5 minutes riding. I have done the charging mod + headlights off when start mod and it charges perfect. one problem solved. I will still check all connections. I am gonna have time this winter. thank you all it was really great help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts