TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 TLR -8200 miles. K&N, Yosh Exhaust.
Started to run rough every once in a while when first started, cold. When it comes up to temp it would smooth out. It seems that it is only runnin on one cyl, give it throttle and in the upper rpm's the other one comes in. After it is fully warmed up, it runs on both.

If I ride it every day it runs on both from the start, but the longer it sits the worse it acts, now it runs on both cuttin out.

Today I changed the plugs and took off the air box, top and bottom to take a look-see.
Found one of the big hoses off the bottom corners was off at the valve cover, put it on and put the air box back in and fired it up. Now poppin out the exhaust and air box. Give it throttle, slight bog off idle(if you could call it that) and pops out the air box, full throttle, let off, full throttle, pops out the exhaust. Seems like it is runnin rich, I think it always has. It ran fine earlier in the summer and seemed to get worse as the summer went on, but now almost unrideable. I tried wigglin the wires while it was runnin and no change.

Lookin for some ideas on where to start lookin.

-fuel injectors ?
-vacuum hoses ?
-bad gas ?
-valve lash ?
-fuel filter ?
-coils ?
-ground ?
-wiring ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Had the same problem earlier this week, adjust your tps, check your spark plug wire connections and replace the plugs with CR9IEX or a step hotter CR8IEX.

Mine was doing the popping and fouling plugs every two days on the button, stuck some hotter plugs in, adjusted the tps and it runs like new now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do I adjust the TPS to?
I think I remember a spot on here where there where mods and tips and tricks to make my TL run with the best or at least rest of 'em?

·
Moderator,
8,243 Posts
You probably don't need the hotter plugs in the R. Adjust the TPS but also do a throttle body synch too. You'll think you're riding a different bike. Check the plug leads as mentioned. Many have had good results trimming a bit off the ends and reassembling.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yesterday I tried to fire it up and it fired right up on both cyl. sort of. One cyl seems to be cuttin out. it is intermittent(sp?) After it warmed up a bit both cyl. Seems electronic as it is sparratic and unpredictable. Just tried it again and down to one cyl. :O
Is there a test I can do on the coils? A certain resistance between the wires? When I checked spark it seemed a little weak, I have nothing to compare it so I am not sure. How much are coils new, any aftermarket ones that are more powerful?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
mine did that... set the tps and balanced the tb's ...... new bike.:) i'm sure someone near you would give you a hand.:O

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I just tried it again and only one cyl. I pulled off the front plug wire and cranked it over, nothing. Put it back on and pulled the rear plug wire and it fired and ran on the front cyl. Pulled the plugs and the rear one was wet. Swapped in a dry one and it was back to intermittently firing on both cyl. So now it seems that the rear cyl is filling with gas. Cause? Maybe stuck injector? I think I have read about some guys gettin fuel in their oil, my bike leaks a little oil at high rpm's so I would think it should be down a little from when I changed the oil at the beginning of summer and it is just as full if not more than I started with. But then again it is on the rear stand and that might be why it is showing more. :O

I will be trying the TPS and synch as soon as I can, hopefully tomorrow.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rode 100 miles yesterday. At first it was a bit sluggish, would cut out at WOT. Let off a little and full power back to WOT and cut out. Under 2000 rpm's (idle) it would stumble a bit on one cyl., rev it and fine. Started fine every time I shut her down. Somewhere around 10 miles in all was fine. I know I still need to check the sync., already checked the tps and it checked fine. I think it was fuel that needed to be burned off, maybe a sensor that only reads good when at full operating temp. as all season it runs best at full operating temp. Have to wait and see after trying it from a cold start. I hope all is good, if I have to mess with it more I might put it away for the season. Or talk to it like this :rant Probably not a good idea. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts