TLZone Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a tlr and i haven't rode it for a good month. I have had it on an optimiser, but before i stopped riding it, when i went about 5 miles down the road, then tried restarting it, it would struggle to start. So obviously i have a charging problem.

I tried starting it today, and it turned over too slowly for it to fire up, before it eventually died then made a fizzing (eeerrrrrrrzzzz) sort of sound then after that a clicking sound but not turning over. It sounded like it was comming from the battery side.

Do you think this could be the 4pin starter relay conection block, where the connectors corode and you solder them directly to their terminals, i only ask on here because i haven't had time to look at it yet. As soon as i get a chance i will have a look. I'm just about to give up on the bike as i have had soooo many problems with it, but i don't want to because it is my dream bike.

Sorry about the essay.

Nath

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
sounds like you have a charging problem leading to a dead battery, get a volt meter and test the charging system. Do the charging system mod.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
I'm gonna say it sounds like your battery just gave up. When the battery can no longer provide enough current to spin the motor, you will hear the motor stop turning and the "clicking" is the starter motor relay engaging and disengaging as the battery tries without enough power to spin the engine.

From what I know, the optimizer is a good battery charger. So... for the bike not wanting to start just a few miles of riding. I suspect your battery failed.

Take it out of the bike and trickle charge it over night-so as not to charge it too quickly and damage the plates. Then have it LOAD tested at a battery shop. My thought is that it will fail the test. Replace it if it does. If you do replace the battery, make sure to trickle charge it overnight BEFORE putting it in the bike. Then give it a go.

BEFORE you go testing your charging system. Make sure your battery is fully charged. It makes it much easier to troubleshoot down the road.

Let us know what you find. :thumbup :cheers

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, thank you. only thing im suspect to is it's a brand new battery, and i have allways kept it on the optimiser since i got it in.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
If the battery checks out good, I would go over the electrical connectors, making sure they are Clean, Tight and have some dielectric grease in them when you put them back together.

Then test the charging system and see what you get. :thumbup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts