TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i took my tl out today and it started overheating , it got to about 240degrees.F. and the fan kicks on at like 220-230.

now the other problem is the battery isnt charging AGIAN, one guy says its the stator and the other says the R/R, i really dont know

any help would be lovely thanks:banghead:banghead:confused

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,856 Posts
The manual can help you work out if it's the stator or the R/R. Measure the AC voltage on the 3 output phases of the stator and see if they're in spec.

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
http://www.tlzone.net/forums/freque...harging-system-diagnostic-upgrade-thread.html

The first part is how to determine what the problem is and the second part for the best fix.
I don't see too many stator failures on TL's compared to some other marques, but R/R is quite prevalent failure.

Regarding the fan:
Less likely to be problem with power side - power comes off same ignition fuse as the side stand relay & ignition circuit - bike would not run with that power line out.
Test the fan function by shorting out the thermo-switch. That is located on the right side of the radiator, above the bottom hose. You can easily access this through the scoop in the right side fairing. Remove the plug & short the two pins with a paper clip or something. Turn on ignition, fan should run. If it does, you have a bad thermoswitch.
If not, then check the fan itself - does it rotate freely if you try to move it mechanically?
Access the plug on the fan & check for power on the orange/yellow wire with ignition on.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the fan works, it just turns on when the bike already over the temp. it should kick on, ive been pulling my hair out on this cooling problem, im thinking about putting a toggle switch in and put a extra fan in because i live in orlando and we can sit at a stop light for a good 10-15 min.

would the be a ok idea?

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
Fan switch - sure, can't hurt anything
That plug for the thermal switch I mentioned - just connect a switch across the two wires to that connector.
Muzzy used to make better fan rotors - not sure if they have those for the TL?
Maybe someone can chip in on that.

They don't list one - might be worth calling http://www.muzzys.com/fans.html

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
I thought the "fan mod" was in frequent mod section.. et79 sold me a switch that i put in so i could manually turn the fan on. Works great.If I'm sitting in bumper to bumper and the temp hits 190 i just turn it on. keeps the bike right there. Have you changed your coolant lately.. fresh coolant goes along way in heat transfer.

I'd guess your temperature activated switch in the Radiator is failing... I'd just replace it with a new one. Sounds like the fan is working when it's supposed to be. Mine kicks in at 223 everytime. I just dont like it that hot.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts