TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Brian and I went to Denver's Performance Cycle Saturday, looking at leather suits and boots. I bought a new cable lock. Weather was looking pretty awsome (black).
Headed home and the wind starts up (40mph) but no big.
got about 15 miles from home when it happened.
We took this right hander (90 degrees) 20 mph corner (doing about 40) side by side, sweet turn, and hit it pretty good comming out. All of a sudden I hear a pop. The bike hits rev limiter and she's hurt.
Clutch in, kill the motor and coast to a stop. Clutch is gone. WTF
I knew before I got off the bike. Snapped a chain.
I look down to see the chain resting on the cush hub and hanging free.
Brian turns and comes back to see what the shit just happened, said he heard someting too.
I hung my head low and reported "I broke it".
The master link failed. streached it in two.
We are on back county roads and 15 miles from home. If you get back in the hills here, you have no cell reception at all.
Well, we took a 5' piece of climbing cord and the new cable lock I just bought and tied them together, looped one end on Briand rear peg mount and I held the other end in my hand. He pulled me all 15 miles home. And this in 40-55 mph winds.
It really sucked.
I have not torn her completely apart to see if there is additional damage but, the clutch push rod snapped in two, ground a bit off of the clutch mount sleeve and nicked my rear wheel a couple of times but no serious damage that I can see.
I need to clean her up to get rid of chain lube build up and see if everything is ok.

Worse part is, Brian rides a 2002 HONDA 954. Glad neither of us had a camera.
Towed home by a Honda. Man, I'm never going to live this one down.
I'm just glad it didn't come apart mid corner.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Riddick said:
I'm just glad it didn't come apart mid corner.
Damn right, man... popped my rear tire this past sat, just after getting off the highway onto surface streets, and there's a nice long sweeper on the highway just before the exit, I was moving along pretty good...

:eek

Timing can be a very good or a very bad thing, sounds like we both had the good variety.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
I hate that. It's happened to me twice, once on my old ZX-10 and once on the TL. Really makes me consider getting something with a shaft or belt final drive. Could have been worse though. At least you were not riding alone or at least the cases didn't crack. Keep your head up.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
My chain went flying off my ZRX1100 when I tried to clutch up 2nd gear. When I went to look for it some guy doing yard work said he saw it go flying into a tree.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Crazy, I've never broken a chain, but I'm sure it would suck. I'd recomend a DID 530 ZVM with rivet link as a replacement:thumbup There's no reason a chain should break unless its defective, not the right one for the bike, worn out or too tight imho. Sadly, there's not a lot you can do to identify a defective one, but it seems that occurance of defective chains is much more typical with cheep ones higher end units.

best of luck

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The drive is almost brand new. I did the 520 conversion with 16 T front, Stealth 42 rear and the EK 520 Xring chain (around 3,000 hard miles). The chain was not the weak link, the master link failed. I ripped it in two. Might go back to my 530 setup now.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Rivet MC link?

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
phew! I saw the title and thought maybe you binned it. Be glad it wasn't worse! hopefully it wont be as bad as you think

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Well that's good:thumbup Weird that it broke, any chance the chain was binding when the suspension compressed (i.e. not enough slack)?

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
Riddick said:
Worse part is, Brian rides a 2002 HONDA 954. Glad neither of us had a camera.
Towed home by a Honda. Man, I'm never going to live this one down.
At least you wern't towed home by a HARLEY!!!!:laugh

I got a front sprocket cover with sensor if you find something is unfixable with the cover... We got to get that girl back to TLotM blingtastic. Let me know if I can help.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm running vandrivers billet primary cover, no damage. Doesn't look like I did much except break the master link, broke the Hydro clutch push rod. And maybe bent the rear sprocket. I still have all of my 530 stuff so I can just put it back on until I find a rivet / press link matched to the strength of the 520 chain.
I need to remove the belly pan tonight and inspect everything really well. so far it's $14.xx to fix

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
Check the 2 bolts for your sprocket cover real well. When mine broke, they looked fine, but upon closer inspection, both bolts and the sleeves that cover them were bent and had to be replaced. At least the chain didn't damage my cover. FWIW.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...it could have been worse, that's an easy fix:yes...

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Be careful with re-using the chain, it may have been damaged when it came off. If nothing else look it over closely.

good luck

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
arent 520's thinner? Dude riddick i am way glad that you didnt go down man :thumbup this is more of an inconvenience then a problem. You a lucky guy :yes

·
Registered
42 Posts
Dread, yes they are thinner, and generally lighter. and generally weaker. I would rather get and alum. sprocket and stick with a 530, but thats just me

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yeah shitty weekend alright, i need a new engine, started going clunkety clunk:puke at WOT and 7krpm out of a hard 2nd gear corner, i guess i'm lucky it didnt seize and spit me across the road and down the 10m embankment!

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
A rivet master link breaking is truly odd. Glad you and your bike are OK.

Thank goodness it happened in a slow corner and not on a high speed run :eek

1 - 20 of 20 Posts