TLZone Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these enforced? I wouldn't be happy having hired a van, driven to Silverstone/Mallory/Donington then finding I can't ride cos the bikes too loud :O
The TLR is as loud as any bike I've ever heard :laugh
Sounds great to me, but how loud is 105db anyway? :confused

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Its too loud - you'll never be allowed to do a trackday.
Do you want to sell it to me? Of course you won't recoup what you paid for it :laugh

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
i think theres a db meter floating around the zone somewhere. do a search

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
You would have to have shorties or empty cans to go over 105 and yes they do sound check.

My M4 is between 100-102, RS3's are about the same

If you are worried, do what we do, buy a pair of DB Killers from ebay and throw them in your toolbox just in case....just don't forget a drill if you don't want to drill your cans until facing a long drive home :devious

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its too loud - you'll never be allowed to do a trackday.
Do you want to sell it to me? Of course you won't recoup what you paid for it :laugh
:laugh Thanks for the offer Tim, not quite ready to sell at a loss yet :laugh

Think I'll look for db killers on ebay :devious

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
I've seen all sorts like socks/rags/tree branches etc flying out of exhausts during noise testing, you'd be surprised what people shove up there in desperation :lol

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have the SPL meter in question, if anyone wants to borrow it just PM me.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ta Dan, but I borrowed a db meter :devious

Anyone know how close they test?

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:laugh We tried the meter today, comes out between 100db and 115db, depending on where you hold the meter :O

So that was a waste of time then :banghead

db killers, and hope for the best :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Your recorded value depends on a lot of things which I won't bore you with. Just make sure you take 4 readings. 2 at aprox 500mm away from the tips of the exhausts (down the middle) with the mic at 45° (on which plane is up to you :O) Take a weighted (dBA) & slow averaged sample at both 4-5k rpm then again at 5-6k rpm. The peak reading should be your reference.

Feel free to argue to toss with officals at the track....but they couldn't measure their own dicks from what I've heard. Hey what do I know...5 years working in a digital recording studio :thumbup

Cans packed properly? Then you should be fine with a dB-Killer as insurance for =<105dB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts