TLZone Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 98 TL1000R, not the S I repeat not the S, the other day. The seller said she was running when parked a year ago. All she needed was new fluids and a battery and she would be ready to go. I have given her a name of patrisha or Trish. In honor of someone close to me since they are both being major bitches and will most likely be the death of me. So....I went out about 10am and bought new fluids. Oil, oil filter, antifreeze, brake fluid and I took a battery out of my other bike that is an 01 ZX1100. So I figure that battery starts that big ass bike then it should have no issue starting this big ass bike. I took all day replacing fluids, bleeding clutch and brake lines. Went ahead and did them all for safe measure. Installed battery and pulled her out for her initial start up and expected take off. Checked to make sure the lights lit up and all was well. Put gas in and found out very quickly that the gasket around the fuel pump was no good but the fuel pump was good seeing as how I could hear it turn on and when I went to take the tank off it sprayed gas all over the place from the pressurized line. So it all works but I am getting no fuel the plugs, I assume its dirty injectors. Also she was stored for that year with no fluids. None at all. But my main concern is that I am getting no spark and I am getting no Fi code at all. I checked to see if that was working and unhooked the tip over sensor and turned her on and the Fi light flashed. I put her into dealer mode and it gave me the proper Fi code read out so that leads me to believe that the ECM is good to. All the lights turn on, she turns over no problem. Is there anything about these bikes that is a usual issue. I did this on the Kawasaki website and it saved me about 3 days worth of tracking down issues just reading responses. If there are any known issues, problems, or just things that are a pain in the ass. I'm used to dealing with those. Please comment and let me know. Hopefully this will help me and others to narrow searches long before we have to start pulling out nose hair because we have no actual hair left to pull out. Lol thanks all.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Could well be gummed up injectors after sitting dry for a year. Put a dose of cleaner in the tank to see if it helps.

You might also want to check the side-stand and clutch switches. Give them a good spray with contact cleaner (brake cleaning spray works well too).

You might want to try jump-starting it off a car battery just to get it going. It might take a while before everything works its way through the system.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
But my main concern is that I am getting no spark and I am getting no Fi code at all. I checked to see if that was working and unhooked the tip over sensor and turned her on and the Fi light flashed. I put her into dealer mode and it gave me the proper Fi code read out so that leads me to believe that the ECM is good to. All the lights turn on, she turns over no problem.
An error code will not be generated unless there is a problem with the injector control circuit or the ignition coil control circuit.
If the plugs are fuel fouled, which is a common problem, there will be no error code.
If the injectors are clogged with varnish, which is common after long storage, there will be no error code.
As long as the ECM can detect that the components are connected, it is satisfied.

Still, as snowblind mentioned, the injectors could be clogged, and they may require removal and professional cleaning.

Also, the spark plugs could be fuel fouled from before it was stored, if it was started repeatedly and not allowed to warm up to operating temp.

The fact that you are able to crank the engine over with the start button says that the clutch switch and side stand switch are not the issue. Otherwise, it wouldn't crank over. It would also be prudent to monitor the battery voltage while cranking it over. If it drops below 10.5 volts, that could be part of the issue. A TL needs a nice strong spark to get going.

Other conditions could exist that will disable the coils and injectors, and they are listed on page 4-27 in the manual. However, those conditions should generate an error code, but not always. If you can confirm that no fuel is delivered into the throttle body bore, and there is no spark, these other areas warrant investigation.

Let us know what you find please.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have cleaned the injectors twice. I made sure the coils had resistance. I am about to try a different battery. I put some brand new E3 plugs in her. Hoping that the battery is my only issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got her running. Battery was the issue the whole time but check out my thread "Black Smoke like diesel" that's a list of all my new issues I'm needing help with. Sorry new to this site and didn't realize I could find my old post very easily so sorry for the multipule posts. Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts