TLZone Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few weeks ago I bought a 02 tl1000r from auction the bike ran for a while but since it didnt have nothing on the front in (cowl stay bracket speedo etc) I was gonna do a led headlight and signals
While wiring it to the battery something popped I blew the led in line fuse but idk what could have happened to the bike
The ignition switch is getting power to the red wire and the orange wire when key is turned (ignition coupler under air box)
But I have no stater or fuel pump
My front wiring harness is sh** but it was working
Ps in need of parts as well
Front harness mostly it's the only thing I can not find

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Check the main fuse on the starter relay. On the R it is attached to the battery box. There is usually a spare in there. Should get you back up and powered, but sounds like you have a short to ground that arced off and blew the fuse, which likely means it'll just keep blowing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed the 30 amp fuse did not help
I do not have a multimeter but I do have a test light I took the connector out and the top of the relay the two prongs were hot but the the bottom two did ground out
Could another fuse have blown or could the relay be bad

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
There is a fuse box too. Could have hit one of those. Sometimes fuses APPEAR ok but are not.

Do you have any power? Headlights, Horn, Brake lights, etc.

Might want to "invest" in a cheapo multimeter to make life easier on you. Fill out your location in your profile, for all you know there is an expert that is around the corner.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
The ignition switch is getting power to the red wire and the orange wire when key is turned (ignition coupler under air box)
But I have no stater or fuel pump
Since the orange wire is getting power through the switch and yet there is no power to the starter button or the fuel pump, have a look at the ignition fuse in the fuse box. That fuse is responsible for providing power to everything connected to the orange/white wire.

Does the LCD display in the instrument cluster show CHEC?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Figured it out my kick stand safety thing (idk)
Put the kick stand up everything fine
Can some one please describe what the is and
A. How to fix it
Or
B. Or should I just un plug it

Another thing I put aftermarket GPI 3core aluminum radiators in it the bottom one is really close two the front header pipe what goes there to protect the radiator from heat
I know a belly bottom (I think is the name correct if wrong) goes there but I dont think that would keep much heat from my rads

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Another thing I put aftermarket GPI 3core aluminum radiators in it the bottom one is really close two the front header pipe what goes there to protect the radiator from heat
There is normally nothing between the front header and the lower radiator. Some pipes are closer than others to the radiator, but it really shouldn't be a problem. If you are overly concerned about it, you could wrap the pipe in that area. That would reduce much of the radiant heat.

DSCN7705 by Tony Six5, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Figured it out my kick stand safety thing (idk)
Put the kick stand up everything fine
Can some one please describe what the is and
A. How to fix it
Or
B. Or should I just un plug it
If you unplug it you will be back where you were.

I know you said your front wiring was a mess... Check your clutch safety switch wiring.

If you want to "remove" the sidestand switch (as I have) you need to bridge the loom side to keep the circuit complete. Search a guy named CrashB here and find any post by him and look at his brilliant wiring diagrams in his signature to get an idea of how that circuit works. Ask if you have any questions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok that eases the mind
I purchased a new harness idk why but it fixed the problem
One more thing front brake doesn't trigger brake light
Now there is some wiring coming from the controls that dont plug into anything
I didnt put them on there but it has new controls and Reservoirs I dont think they go to the bike but maybe a gsxr
The plug in question is just 2 lol wires has constant power and ground going to the wires

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
In addition to rxf610's comment, there is also a nice simplified diagram of the starter interlock circuit on page 8-13 in the manual.

You will notice that both the side stand switch (SSS) and gear position switch (GPS) are responsible for keeping the side stand relay (SSR) engaged. This relay controls power to the starting and ignition circuits. If the transmission was in neutral while you were testing for power, and power was restored once the kickstand was up, then that says there is something wrong with the GPS circuit that keeps the SSR engaged.

Since the TLR's fuse box is part of the front Loom, and you noted that the front loom is in poor condition, the problem may reside there. However, the SSR is part of the 7-pin module that plugs into the fuse box, and it also contains the turn signal relay, and the Dual diodes which keep the SSS and the GPS isolated from each other electrically. The problem could be in the loom wiring to the fuse box, or the SSR module itself.
Another possibility is that the GPS itself is not making a good connection to ground, but if the neutral light illuminates properly, that is likely not the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts