TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some input and help.....

Was out lastnight around ottawa, stopped at a buddies house for a few hours and when returning to the bike put key in and nothing, no lights no power, charged up the battery and still nothing, have power to the relay right beside the battery and the fuse, but after that i am so lost, any one ever had this, Thinking maybe ignition switch???????

·
king dork
1,932 Posts
remove the plug from teh starter relay. I had similar issues, and it turned out to be a bad connection in the relay. It's the one in the picture that says connects here. a temporary fix is to bend the little prong. I think the problem is that it gets hot, melting the plastic of the plug that connects to it and loosing connections. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the help, its funny after i got home and did indeed fix the bike, it turns out it was exactly what you said in the email back, going to hard connect them to the relay and make another connector further up the frame that is easier to get to, once agin theanks for the input and the help.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just had this same problem on my 97 Tl1000s. Turns out its one of the larger wires of the 4 that go into the relay. It got hot enough that the plastic melted inside the harness clip that fits over the picture above. My relay was in great shape but the connector that was part of the wire harness needed a new connector. It was a pain but now everything is back to normal.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm having this same issue right now. I actually took it a step further and did Steve's power mod, and the bike still isn't turning over. Not sure what to do at this point, other than replace the ignition switch (?)

·
Registered
31 Posts
The problem in this thread addresses a problem where even with the key in the on position the dash doesnt light up like the battery is dead. Is that your problem or do you have power in the dash?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah I have power in the dash now, but the lights were flickering at one point when I was riding the bike before it stopped starting period. When I looked up the power mod fix, there were several symptoms which pointed back to the connection on the relay. I figured the OP was having the same issue as I am.

·
Registered
31 Posts
SO you have power at the dash and headlights etc but the starter wont kick the engine over when you hit the starter button? I dont believe that the ignition switch does anything for the starter.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ive heard the starter solenoids can go out. You can run 12 volts right to the solenoid and see if it spins. If not tap on the solenoid or try running 12 volts right to the starter positive stud. If it doesnt spin your starter is either jammed or completely shot. If you have a volt meter you can check for voltage at the solenoid and starter when you hit the start button.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The dash lights going out and the bike dieing are directly related to the starter relay but if you have a solid power then I would look into checking voltage at different points and see where you are at.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I am having the same problem. Do I bend the prong that says 'connects here'? Would a new relay fix the problem, or is there a melted wire in the plug that connects to the relay? I have the bike apart now, wondering what to do...

·
Registered
31 Posts
My bike had a melted wire that connected to the relay. My relay looked great. It may have been replaced prior to me getting the bike though. I had to cut off and make a new connector and then I never had another problem.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I smelled melting plastic a few months ago, but when I look at the connector, it looks sound. No melted plastic. The relay looks fine as well. So I guess the best bet would be to do Chuck's fix by cutting the connector off and soldering the wires to the relay, or should I buy a new relay???

·
Super Moderator
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,754 Posts
I smelled melting plastic a few months ago, but when I look at the connector, it looks sound. No melted plastic. The relay looks fine as well. So I guess the best bet would be to do Chuck's fix by cutting the connector off and soldering the wires to the relay, or should I buy a new relay???
Since you don't see evidence of overheating at the starter relay or its connector, there are a few things that should be checked downstream of the relay before you conclude it is the cause of the 'no start' problem.

At the large white gang connector on the left side of the headlight under the ram air cover, there is an Orange wire and a Red/White wire on the main loom side of the connector. The other side of this connector is the front loom. You'll notice that the Orange wire transitions into a Black/Red wire, and the Red/White wire transitions into a Brown wire.

Use a meter to measure between these wires and chassis ground. Use a small wire (or thin probe) to probe from the backside of the front loom side of the connector.

The Red/Wht & Brown combination should be at 12 volts all the time - even with the key OFF. Is it?

The Orange & Blk/Red combination should be at 12 volts after the key is turned ON. Is it?

While you are measuring these voltages, wiggle the starter relay connector and notice if the meter shows an intermittent connection. If so, you'll need to take a close look at the relay connector.

If not, then the starting problem could be elsewhere in the loom.

Open all of the gang connectors to inspect the terminals for evidence of oxides or overheating. Clean and replace as necessary. Apply dielectric grease to the terminals (after cleaning) to deter future problems.

Let us know what you find.

If you haven't done so already, download the manual and reference page 8-14 for the wiring diagram.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same problem as "Tlrottowa" and I think it may indeed be the plug that comes from the wiring harness into the starter solinoid, but I have no Idea wear I might find a new one. I'd really rather not buy a new wiring harness. any one have any sugestions ?

·
Super Moderator
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,754 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts