TLZone Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas im a newb on here but have a pretty heavy background in mechanical repair. I have a 01 tlr that will not start and definitley sounds like it is getting no fuel. I checked the error code and I am getting nothing. I even took every electrical conection apart to check for bad connections and checked the fuses. I took out the fuel pump and gave it 12 volts and it spat a little fuel at me but i am still not hearing that whinning noise and I know the relay is clicking over. My guess is bad fuel pump what do you all think?

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,420 Posts
Check the 4 Pin Connector onto the starter solenoid next to the battery, very common problem. The terminals get loose and start to arc/fry making the problem even worse.

Just fixed that exact same problem to Grinfactor's bike on Sunday :thumbup

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,420 Posts
Now go say hello and introduce yourself in the open forum :laugh

Welcome :bigfinger
(The standard welcome smiley)

·
Premium Member
8,251 Posts
Welcome to the Zone.

The plug Sam mentioned is located just above the battery and is under a green cover. They corrode and/or loosen up and cause problems. If that doesn't fix it you can download the service manual where you will find specs for testing the fuel pump.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the help I tried that plug and the connections were fine. It turns out the fuel pump and my fuel pump relay were both going bad. I replaced the fuel pump with the dodge caravan one which works amazingly and changed out the relay. One snag though the ground that come out of the ecu that powers on the fuel pump was only reading 8 volts which isnt enough to throw the really so I had to make it a hard ground to the frame. It runs fine but I have to be careful not leave it on without running because it will build up too much pressure. I fear the only way to fix that ground issues is to get another ecu which I will do when I have some more cash flow unless that relay was designed to handle that lower voltage on the ground which then I will just need another relay. Plus I did the grounding mod while I was at it and overall it is starting beter now with everything. I just need to sync the throtle bodies and adjust the tps now. Thank you again for the help

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,859 Posts
There's a pressure regulator on the fuel rail that keeps the pressure 41psi above the throttle body pressure, it'll stop the pressure build up, so it wont be the end of the world if the pump is running without the engine.

The OEM pump has an internal reguator set between 60 odd and 90 odd PSI. I'm not sure if the Dodge one has an internal relief - but the rail one should do the job anyway.

(At idle the engine doesn't use much fuel anyway - nowhere near enough to relieve the pressure the pump can put out)

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,859 Posts
A bit of a relief. :laugh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.