TLZone Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was installing my top gun undertail and I blew the brake, signal, horn fuse. No big problem. I just replaced the fuse and finished the job. All the brake lights and turn signals work but the horn does not work, or should I say, only works a little meaning I get just a little horn and than nothing for about 15 min and than just a little noise from the horn again.

I assume it’s a ground problem but I could be very wrong.

Anyone got any ideas:O

· Registered
1,549 Posts
last time i had my radiator off i didnt put the horn back on..

· Registered
451 Posts
just buy a horn at pepboys or some auto parts store

· Registered
4 Posts
Goodnight. My horn only makes a soft short beep and all the lights go slightly dim , while i press the horn button. I suspect its a bad ground, but i dont know where to start looking? Sometimes while riding it works good for jus a little while them back to short soft beep.

· Super Moderator
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,784 Posts
......My horn only makes a soft short beep and all the lights go slightly dim , while i press the horn button. I suspect its a bad ground, ....Sometimes while riding it works good for jus a little while them back to short soft beep.
Two things are likely occurring.

1) The horn is a cheap electromagnetic variety, and it is 20 years old, and corroded.
Replace it with an improved version, preferably powered through a relay.

2) In the OEM electrical system configuration, ALL TLs have a "bad ground."
There is one wire that ties the ground network in the loom to the chassis and ultimately the negative battery terminal. It's a 14 gauge wire with a single spade lug in it. That spade lug becomes corroded along with the ring terminal that bolts to the engine case just above the front sprocket. Both of those points can cause high resistance and voltage drops. Thus, the lights and other system components get less voltage than they need. The fix is to clean up the ring terminal and remove the spade lug entirely. Then solder the remaining two wires together. Your TL's electrical system will thank you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts