TLZone Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sooooo.... since it looks like i will have to be putting the bike up for the winter here not too shortly i am thinking of more stuff that i might want to do this winter for mods.

one idea i have been having is the possibility of different velocity stack and just a set of pod filters instead of the airbox. i dont see how it would make much differance than the open air box i am running now and then i could tune the length of the velocity stacks to more complement my riding style (hard street riding/lots of midrange romping) as well as free up a lot of space for a more clean ummm.. engine bay? now has anyone already did this?? and where would i find a source for velocity stacks? i'm thinking i might investigate that whole different TB conundrum and see if i can find a suitable alternative.

any feedback or ideas on the whole no airbox deal.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...do a search for pod filters, there's a few threads that talk about how they loose power using them...

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
If you use pod filters, they just need to be really enormous. Consider large flatter automotive units but with off-center connection to the stacks.

Even on my old Ducati 860 I was amazed at how restrictive separate pods are, and those were K&Ns. So I went to larger ones. Then longer ones. Then to larger, longer, ones with an oval base plate, which worked better.

The flow thru a normal air fllter ends up at least a little constant in flow, with some box volume below the air filter and serving both cylinders. But a pod on stacks...well, it sees all the vacuum in a sudden pulse, then none at all fo rmost of the time, then another sudden demand...

In short, as a rule of thumb, to work as well, start with the idea that each pod filter should be as big as the normal entire filter for both cylinders. If you use one for each cylinder, and there's not even any cross-over connection between the stacks, then you should start with about twice the filter area you would use for a more normal combined intake filter that's farther upstream.

If I was running without a lid, I'd probably work up something very different. Kind of the opposite of a JoeV mod. I would have stacks come into as large an airbox as I could make, a larger box volume below the filter. With the lid off, those side chambers that normally transfer air from the ram tubes are just wasted space. I would probably try to add their volume to the volume under the filter...just a little plastic-welding...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts