TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will probably sound stupid but I'm wondering if somethings wrong with my bike or it's just my lack of experience on this bike. when I take off from a stop i have to keep the revs up really high otherwise the bike stalls. If I keep the revs up when i take off the bike either peels out or wheelies a little. am i doing something wrong or is it a mechanical issue (clutch - fuel?)
Thanks for any help.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
You should be able to take off / accelerate like on any other bike.

Trying to ride around a low speed / low revs is a bit more difficult, but taking off shouldn't be. Especially when it's to the point of where the front wants to leave the ground.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I would check the throtle cable..sounds to tight..
What are the rpms at when you start it up/shift?

Maybe a 1.5 th throttle 1.55 installed????:O :O

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Is it your first bike? if not what have you had before and how did you manage with them?

The TL will pull smoothly away from a stop without issue, but it might require a tad bit more rider ability than many bikes given that it has a fairly light flywheel, very quick throttle response and a rather vauge clutch.

Try letting the clutch out slowly, even if you do have to keep the revs way up (which you shouldn't), you should still be able to take off in a smooth, controlled way, just slip the clutch a bit more.

good luck

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've ridden dirt bikes for many years and a couple of small street bikes (under 200cc). The idle is at 1200. When i let out the clutch it seems like it has no slip whatsoever and If I don't keep the revs up the bike shakes and then dies (only in first at takeoff) I can downshift into first and slow way down As long as I don't completely stop . At what rmp should I be letting the clutch out or keep above? Maybe the clutch plates are torn up and engaging too quickly? Please help I just can't believe that it's my fault.

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
the TL has a notoriously short engagement zone on the clutch. you let it out, and out and out and finally it grabs and grabs hard.

the idle is ideal at 1200...

and if you are lifting the front, you are making full power so it isn't something wrong with the power plant....

just need some time to get the feel for the clutch is all.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally Got It !

Thanks For the help guys. I got on and rode it no problem I was just popping the clutch a little too fast just had to get used to it.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
takes a while on the TL to get used to the clutch. theres a lot of pillion to rided helmet banging the first few days but it just seems to get easy after that.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Thanks For the help guys. I got on and rode it no problem I was just popping the clutch a little too fast just had to get used to it.
I found the stock gearing too tall for around town stuff...might want to go up 2 on the rear, makes stop lights much easier.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
:confused

I never had any "getting use to" to do on my TLR. I went from a pretty used clutch on a Katana straight to a freshly serviced TLR and never had a problem. In fact, I could sometimes feather the clutch just enough to manage to take off from a stop with out using any throttle at all (tough to do tho, and wasn't fast at all :laugh).

I always scratch my head when people say that the TL is normally rough and not smooth. Maybe mine was the exception, but it was the one of the smoothest bikes I've ever riden...I loved that thing

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Tucker, Mabey your kat was just a pos and warped your perspective:lol

Sac, glad you got it sorted:thumbup As for launch rpm, for a hard, drag style launch I use ~5-6k rpm. For usual around town I use just enough that it doesn't chug.

have fun

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Hey dont bash the kat, that old thing treated me very well. I bought her from a friend who had it collecting dust in a leaking tool shed for $700. Put in a new battery, new plugs, new fuel, new tires and fork seals and she gave me 11k miles with ZERO problems...and once you learn to handle a Katana enough to keep up with 600RR's and RC's, you can ride anything!

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Yeah the clutch is just a bit weird. You may have some air in the line or you may need a fluid change. When I first got mine I would let the lever out about 90% before it would start to grab. then I changed the fluid and now its at about 50% before it starts to grab -much more natural.

You should not have to rev the pig at all... just a little juice to move my heavy ass. Here is one of my take offs (I'm such a whore) :D You can see me let out the clutch and see where it grabs.

Be patient as it is a big file
http://www.chucksirois.com/TL1000/slash-cut/slashvid%20005.avi

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
Ive got to change the fluid this winter, but it really goes out along way on my TLR before it grabs, I have the Pazzo lever set at 1 on the clutch side, 4 on the brake side.

just like anything, takes some getting used to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts