TLZone Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always changed the oil, but today found the local auto store had a sale on NGK iridium plugs, so took the plunge and did my first ever spark plug change. Followed the manual (beats me how you move the radiator forward simply) to the letter, but still not sure if I did it right.

When I started the bike up after installing the plugs, it idled OK, but was really rough between 2K and 4k rpm and burst into life after 4K. I took it for a quick spin, and it was really hesitant unless I revved high. When I rolled off the throttle it usually stalled.

Does this describe something in particular, or did I just screw it up and need to have another go? Any help greatly appreciated, even a vague idea of what to do next. :O

Cheers

·
Moderator,
8,251 Posts
Changing plugs is pretty hard to screw up unless you leave one too loose. I suspect a TPS adjustment and throttle body synch would clear things up for you. You might check that the idle speed is proper too.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
make sure you've pushed the caps on the plugs fully. the front can be really hard to get on sometimes with the rad in the way

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven't had a chance to look further but will check to see if they are loose. One more question though, why do you point the arrow of the spark plug cover towards the exhaust side (as per manual instructions)?

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I never noticed an arrow, just point it so that the lead is routed nicely and it snapps all the way down on the plug properly.

All I can think of that could have gone wrong is if the plug gap is way way out, the plugs aren't tight, the HT leads aren't all the way on the plugs or the connection of the HT lead to the coil was comprimised. Also note that HT leads don't last forever and if they are the origional '97 units chances are they could stand to be replaced.

BTW I just take the rad out to do plugs, then go ahead and check valves and all that good stuff at the same time:thumbup

good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts