TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I’m a newbie! I just acquired my first sport bike last weekend...a 2002 TL1000r

she is gorgeous

Ive been riding for 25 years, but I’ve never owned a sport bike...used to ride my X-husbands ZX12r but that was years ago....loved it...told myself if I ever get another bike it will be a sport

my question...btw...I’ll have tons! This bike has been sitting up for while...in this guys man cave...completely climate controlled...he got it cranked and she sounds amazing! But alas after I get her home...no juice. I’m assuming the injectors need cleaning or replacing along with an oil change and I’ve already installed a new battery, fresh gas...

please any advice will be very much appreciated!!

I’m pretty handy with a wrench and want to learn her inside and out...

·
Registered
248 Posts
The bike is turning over / cranking but not firing up?
Can you here the fuel pump priming before you start to turn it over?
If not check the electrical connections to the pump
If the pump is priming.
Remove the plugs check them, are they fouled, wet? Perhaps replace them with new ones.
While your in there check the spark plug caps and connection / spark.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
fill out your profile page so we can see where in the world you are - someone may be near enough to help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok...the last time I tried to start it there was smoke down near the starter relay

Now it won’t even turn over...

The fuel pump wines and I hear a clicking...but that is it ��

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
get some jump leads, connect the negative to the frame and with the ignition switched on touch the positive to the connection bolt on the starter motor, see if it starts and runs. if it does the starter relay is toast.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Arleen, where in ND are you? I'm in High Point.
Lots of good advice on here. If yo haven't yet, download the TLR manual.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
fill out your profile page so we can see where in the world you are - someone may be near enough to help.
Near enough? I'd be willing to travel. :drool.
Good luck with the bike.
Was the smoke electrical. Sounds like it might be shorting out somewhere. Have a good check of the wiring etc before doing much more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts