TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Just wanted to say hi, just traded my '99 ZX7R for a '99 TLR in yellow! I'm in UK but the bike is originally from Canada. All I can say is what an awesome bike!!

Dave

·
Registered
764 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
Hey All,

Just wanted to say hi, just traded my '99 ZX7R for a '99 TLR in yellow! I'm in UK but the bike is originally from Canada. All I can say is what an awesome bike!!

Dave
:bigfinger, welcome...Canada models are good since if you decide to sell it - even a US Military person could buy it/reg it in the USA just as its a 49 state bike (just not in California)...

...all they would need is the dual MPH/KPH speedo and a letter of compliance from USA Suzuki (guess what country/model I have here in Japan:devious)...

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Welcome!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting, though i'm in the UK, not US, so doubtful it'll ever be sold to US military.

Here are a few shots of the bike:

You appear to have the same tail section as mine - would you mine telling me what it's from?! I know it's not standard as I have the stock kit too. Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...my tail section is a custom carbon piece made by Coerce Japan... your's might be a GSXR tail section adapted to fit?...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...my tail section is a custom carbon piece made by Coerce Japan... your's might be a GSXR tail section adapted to fit?...
Thanks mate. The garage I bought it from told me it was a GSXR 1000 unit but then someone else told it wasn't. Looking again at your avatar they're not quite the same so I guess it's either a Gixxer part of maybe even a tail unit available commercially for the TLR. Who knows! It looks cool though.

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
Welcome David, whereabouts in the UK are you. There are loads of us all over the place.
I live in Nantwich Cheshire, we are always going on rideouts, we have a overnight piss up planned for the 27th Jan, hope you can make it

·
Registered
871 Posts
Have fun with her!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh and um......................... Welcome:bigfinger

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome David, whereabouts in the UK are you. There are loads of us all over the place.
I live in Nantwich Cheshire, we are always going on rideouts, we have a overnight piss up planned for the 27th Jan, hope you can make it
I'm in Salisbury, Wiltshire mate. Up for a rideout sometime :)

PS Anyone got a suspension setup guide? Someone has played with the setup on mine and it steers so quick I seem to be aiming at the hedge half the time - i've been used to the rock solid handling of a ZX7R and the TLR doesn't seem to handle well at all!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Hello mate...see you on a ride out sometime.

Check to see how much fork is sticking up above the top yolk. should be 12 mm I think.The rotary rear damper has dubious characteristics ,go for a replacement if you can.I havent heard the TL described as quick steering before! No doubt you will get loads of advice on the damper settings from those that know.If your rear tyre is a 55 profile that also sharpens up the steering whilst the stock sized 50 profile slows it down again.All the best with your new bike ,one more tlr cannt be a bad thing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
12mm sounds about right, maybe slightly less. It just doesn't seem to want to track a line through a corner. With a pillion on it was fine, but with just me it seems to be prone to following the camber of a road a little more than i'd like.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
:bigfinger Welcome.

Try putting some weight on, it'll help with the rear suspension!!:laugh

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Welcome:cheers

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome, the stock suspension is crap, start saving for mods.

If you need any billet parts, let me know.
Dammit. Looks like i've sold a bike with arguably one of the best front ends ever, in favour of a bike that handles like a pig on stilts. Arse.

:(

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Dammit. Looks like i've sold a bike with arguably one of the best front ends ever, in favour of a bike that handles like a pig on stilts. Arse.

:(

mate its not as bad as you may be brought to believe, Granted its not the best and really you should start saving to change the Sus setup, but thats not what owning and riding a TL is about, you are now part of THE TL family.
Oh by the way :bigfinger ( standard TL welcome ) :laugh
Now when I joined this site I was given advice by the UK motely crew to hide my credit card, I laughed thinking yeah right, but :banghead I wish I had listened, NOW HIDE YOUR CREDIT CARD, once the bug bites there aint no stopping :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh:laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
mate its not as bad as you may be brought to believe, Granted its not the best and really you should start saving to change the Sus setup, but thats not what owning and riding a TL is about, you are now part of THE TL family.
Oh by the way :bigfinger ( standard TL welcome ) :laugh
Now when I joined this site I was given advice by the UK motely crew to hide my credit card, I laughed thinking yeah right, but :banghead I wish I had listened, NOW HIDE YOUR CREDIT CARD, once the bug bites there aint no stopping :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh:laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh
:stupid

The mod bug is bad, really bad. You'll never recover from it. (at leas not as long as you keep the tl) :laugh

Welcome to the Zone! :bigfinger

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was hoping that just setting up the OE kit properly would suffice. Clearly not! LOL

Credit cards already maxed from modifying the bike I traded in for the TLR!:

Oh and the Tiller isnt std - different rear end, fuel cans, braided lines, double bubble...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts