TLZone Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Dudes, great site & my card's behind the bar if anyone's thirsty - fill your boots!

Just picked up a minter '97 TLS (Red) with Yoshis and 25,000km showing. Have loved every minute so far and she handles much better on the stock suspension than I expected (I'm over 100Kg kitted up).

I've put on a couple of hundred miles so far and as there is no service history have been changing all the general service items as a matter of course:
  • Junked mismatched tyres for Pilot Powers (retaining the 190 rear section). Corners work now :)
  • suspension dialled back to stock settings
  • oil & filter change
  • fresh K&N
  • plugs - changed from a 9 rating to a double electrode 8 (seems to start easier now not that she was difficult before!). The front plug is a belly laugh to remove with radiator in situ :O :banghead . The rad will come out next time!

Judging by the brown sludge in the overflow bottle the coolant will be changed tomorrow before a blast up to the Ace Cafe for brekkie.

Next - TPS and throttle synch as she is a bit fluffy and surges low down in traffic on a constant throttle. Then an Ohlins damper, fork springs, PC...........!

I find the TLS is constructed in quite a beautiful, thoughtful and exotic way unlike the string of Beemers and KTM's previously owned which were quality on the whole but constructed in a more functional fashion.

Laters!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
cheers friend,
You'll find she'll treat you nice if she was well maintained....... glad you got new shoes on her , now get a good rear shock (Bitubo, ohlins or Penske) what ever budget and resources allow..... you'll be soooo happy you did...... sounds like you are on the right track with eveything else....... oh, and remember, proper tyre inflation is key on these bikes for handling.....

best,
tbyrd

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
Welcome aboard birdman, don't forget to come and say ello in the UK section, there area few that frequent the Ace Cafe on here

:bigfinger

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
welcome dude:bigfinger

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Birdface said:
I find the TLS is constructed in quite a beautiful, thoughtful and exotic way unlike the string of Beemers and KTM's previously owned which were quality on the whole but constructed in a more functional fashion.

Yeah, it's put together pretty strangely, from the way the engine mounts to the rear suspension.

But still not as strange as a BMW...my K1200LT has been nothing but trouble, and very difficult to work on.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
AND:
about the '97:

The '97 has the largest intake ports of any stock TL made, which makes for a ferocious high-rpm rush but tuning is critical for the throttle transitions and lower RPM to not stumble occasionally.

The '97 has a terrible 5-spring clutch, they all have a finger-ramp mechanism that increases the preload on the clutch springs when forward torque is being transmitted. If you have clutch slip-then-grab problems, my advice is to upgrade to the 6-spring clutch before you waste time and money fixing the old 5-spring.

The '97 clutch cover has steel sleeve inserts that tend to pop loose. Never use a '97 cover with aftermarket bolts, the stock bolts have a large shoulder. Later covers have bolt-hole sleeves with a shoulder. Whenever possible, replace the '97 cover with any other. The others also use a larger-section o-ring.

The '97 had a creepy breather system that pressurized the crankcase (reed vavle) to help oil condense out rather than a decent air/oil separator. Causes some oil to accumulate inside the airbox. You can upgrade the valve cover to one with a vent and install a separator.

Front and back, if you request too much compression or rebound damping of the '97 hydraulics you just get bad jolts. Both ends work better if you don't ask too much of them IMHO.

The '97 front Showa fork has valves with restricted flow, same as the Honda HMAS, they don't allow the suspension to move very fast, and they go into hydraulic lock-up pretty easliy and deliver severe shocks to your shoulders. Stiffer fork springs and Race Tech Gold Valves work amazing wonders. Or for free you can port the stock valves and put in lighter oil, add preload or spacers to the springs, and unscrew the adjusters so the bypass around the low-speed circuit also flows a bit around the terrible high-speed circuit.

Same in the back, until you get a different shock my advice is to add preload to the spring and don't ask for too much damping.

The stock steering damper issued to the '97 via recall is pretty bad. The best Hyperpro with progressive valving makes it feel very different.

The '97 fuel tank should have been recalled and upgraded to the new pump mount, new seal, new fuel pump base, and new tank rear support.

I think the thermostat and/or temp sensor was moved since the '97, and a lot of people making the upgrade were pleased with the ECU working better during warm-up.

The TLS air ducts and airbox sucks, and anything you do to improve it pays off.

Lighter wheels changes the entire character of the bike.

All that said, I loved my '97 and will always miss her.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Welcome

:bigfinger

welcome to da board. As I tell all the new guys, if you can access the web via a cell phone or blackberry, bookmark the zone now. It'll be there when you need it most. And the great part is that since the TL owners are all over the world, there's a great chance that any emergency question is gonna be answered in minutes. But remember, use that search function. Most problems with TL's have happened, been solved and posted up, so it's a great resource.

Enjoy your TL, and the zone,

C

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
cyclecamper said:
...... ..
The '97 front Showa fork has valves with restricted flow, same as the Honda HMAS, they don't allow the suspension to move very fast....
I always thought they were Kayaba (KYB) forks? :confused

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Welcome :bigfinger

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Welcome:thumbup

:banana

·
Moderator,
8,243 Posts
Posh Johnny said:
Welcome aboard birdman, don't forget to come and say ello in the UK section...
Now don't do that. Finally a Brit posts and I can understand everything he says. Now you want to run him off to the UK forum where you'll make him use all those strange words the rest of you use to keep us Yanks in the dark as to what's being said.:laugh

And welcome to the Zone.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
1crock said:
Now don't do that. Finally a Brit posts and I can understand everything he says. Now you want to run him off to the UK forum where you'll make him use all those strange words the rest of you use to keep us Yanks in the dark as to what's being said.:laugh
:stupid

bloody hell :lol welcome :bigfinger from sunny Florida!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts