TLZone Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2001 TLR. I want to start changing the suspension settings. I was wondering what everyone is doing. I am 6'3" and about 190-195lbs. I want better handling in the turns and a more responsive feel. Right now it is all factory settings. The bike has some mods and I want to really start riding it. But everytime I lean it over the thing feels like it is not sure if it want s to turn or not. Please let me know what the best set up would be for 80% street and highway driving. and a more performance feel.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I run mine soft and weight 210 lbs 4 lines on the front 10 comp 5 rebound rear 6 threads showing below the lockring 18 comp 15 rebound these settings are clicks back from all in. Single biggest improvement to handling is to raise the rear ride height put a 4mm washer under the top spring mount, undo the big nut on top of the frame support the bike at the swing arm pivot and let the spring assymbly drop down and undo the bolt at the other end put in the washer and bolt every thing back up. I have 207 tires at 32psi.

·
Registered
17 Posts
suspension

I'm 5'10" and 185...I tryed Jaimeis setting and found the front to be good,but the rear WAY to soft,my ass was wobbling/bouncing all over the place. I have a buddy who races a S(with the stock dampner) and he told me to start at 5 clicks out from full in. I tryed that and settled on 6-WAY BETTER!!!!! I know that every one has their own likings,but I can't see how anyone can rail with the bike set that soft. All my bikes have been set closer to track seting,but I ride rough roads and commute and this works for me. Front got squirrley once in some real rough stuff once,but nothing the dampner didn't take care of.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
doug said:
I run mine soft and weight 210 lbs 4 lines on the front 10 comp 5 rebound rear 6 threads showing below the lockring 18 comp 15 rebound these settings are clicks back from all in. Single biggest improvement to handling is to raise the rear ride height put a 4mm washer under the top spring mount, undo the big nut on top of the frame support the bike at the swing arm pivot and let the spring assymbly drop down and undo the bolt at the other end put in the washer and bolt every thing back up. I have 207 tires at 32psi.
Not to sound like a rear newbie but I have no idea what "clicks"
or "comps" are and how do I set the rebound can someone post a pic or email me some more detailed info.

I have the Jamie settings and am not sure how to set a few things. I can handle the lines and threads but these "clicks" are these the little screws on the fork tubes? I need idiot step by step instructions.
I am putting my bike back together tonight after the pear valve block of plates go in and I want to set the suspension up while I have it in the stand.

thanks

[email protected] for those that can send the step by steps.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
sportrider settings

I used these settings and it made a world of difference! I figure those Sport Rider writers, while biased against the TLR, still know a thing or two about wringing every last drop of performance from a stock suspension set-up.

Yes, the "clicks" that everyone is refering to deals with the little screws at the bottom and top of the forks as well as on your rear suspension. If you turn said screws a little ways, they will make an audible *click* for reference. The best way to start is to screw everything in as far as it will go and begin from there.

Oh, and "comp" is just short for compression damping. Make sure you check your manual to find out which screw adjusts what setting(compression or rebound). Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I did Jamie's setup this weekend and also lowered the front about a 1/2 inch. What a differnece! The bike just points and goes. Thanks for all the help.

On a side note. How many of you have a real noisy engine? My bike has RS3 slip on's jamie's air box mod. Ivan's tre plug in and pear valve is gone with block off plates installed. When I get on the throttle I hear the engine more than the pipes. just sounds like the motor is loader than normal. I was wondering any tunning tips to make it run smoother? It is a 2001 TLR with about 5000 miles on it.

thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts