TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd introduce myself. I've bought a TL1000s & love it. My first love is 2 stroke triples, but the TL is growing on me. It's a '99 with 10k miles. The first mod I did was replace the original cans with Beowulf straight throughs. What a noise !!! I then decided that as I am not a teenager anymore & my wrists were aching, to change the bars. I sent away for a new set of billett triple clamps with risers, & fitted normal bars - much more comfy. I also bought a new mounting frame for the steering damper and re-fitted it. I found this too intrusive at slow speeds, so I junked the steering damper. I'd heard all the horror stories about handling - but I think it's great, better without the steering damper I reckon. Hope to keep the TL for a good while

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
What damper do you have on it, I would be cautious with the damper off, lots of ex[erience on here will tell you so too, if your bars are wide though it will give you a bit more control.What part of Scotland do you live

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What damper do you have on it, I would be cautious with the damper off, lots of ex[erience on here will tell you so too, if your bars are wide though it will give you a bit more control.What part of Scotland do you live
Hi Johnny
The damper I had on it was the standard Suzuki non-adjustable one. With the new triple clamp and bracket the damper sat along the left side of the tank. But it would tug at the bike at slower speeds, so I ditched it. I've been riding without it for a couple of months, and apart from being a bit twitchy when the front wheel returns from being airborne, it's very stable. The bars are quite wide, so it is fairly easy the muscle the bike around.
I live in Central Scotland, 15 mins from the amazing roads around the lochs in the Trossachs. If you've never been - go - It's biker heaven.
Do the UK guys ever meet up?

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
..I live in Central Scotland, 15 mins from the amazing roads around the lochs in the Trossachs. If you've never been - go - It's biker heaven.
Do the UK guys ever meet up?
Sounds like Stirling maybe? :devious
Welcome from an ex-Dunfermline guy, now resident in California.
I have yet to ride mine with any serious intent since my conversion, (still awaiting some final work) but somewhat expecting (hoping) the additional offset from the GSXR forks 30mm triple clamps will add some stability & mitigate need for the damper - that was certainly the case on my Triumph, although the offset difference was greater on that bike. It is certainly moving the geometry in the right direction.
I incorporated bars on mine too at same time as the fork swap.

Post up some pics of your bar conversion - & bike in general - in the pics forum - look forward to seeing it.

Incidentally, if your first love is 2 stroke triples (Kawasaki or Suzuki?), those came with rubber frames, so I'm sure the TL must be a dream!:laugh

·
Registered
50 Posts
Andy
Hullo from just north of Inverness. I have an immaculate 97 TLS in red and I think it rocks despite it handling like a pig and running just a bit off. Just getting it remapped at Highland Dynos and kitted out with Mitchelin Road 2CT's fitted at the mo together with new fork seals so I'm expecting big things.:):)
Mart

·
Registered
963 Posts
welcome mann:bigfinger

·
Moderator,
8,247 Posts
Howdy.:)

You need to post some pictures of the bike. Or, to put it another way, :worthless.

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
welcome onboard :bigfinger

·
Registered
906 Posts
Welcome to the zone.

Just visited Scotland, but didn't see any TL's (nor heard them, and I'm quite sensitive to the roar of a 90degree twin without a clutch rattle)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ive got the same problem after riding the TL...aching arms/wrists.
I tried Helibars, but didnt like them, Ive been looking into a yoke conversion ... when you add the cost of a steering damper into the mix, its quite expensive.
Im actually considering selling the TL and buying a naked SV !!!!!!!
The 97 TL is mental ... the top end is bananas ... it wheelies when you least expect it .. i suppose thats what they mean by "character" :)

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
...Im actually considering selling the TL and buying a naked SV !!!!!!!
If you wanted a faired SV, the bar conversion on that at least does not require a fairing chop.

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
The UK guys do meet up, we have just had 2 ride outs recently I will be planning 1 more before the summer is out, perhaps we can head up towards the borders

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Och aye the noo laddie, ye've cum to the roit place if ye like a bit o the TL :laugh :bigfinger welcome

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Welcome:clap

So post up some pics of the bike and the two strokes if you get a chance:drool

For the damper, the WER mounts to the lower clap so is out of the way for bar conversions and such:deal

·
Registered
50 Posts
Tartanterror

This place is absolutely recommended and a breath of fresh air up here given the performances of establishments now defunct...

Chap (John) Middleton is the man in charge and got my PCII running 110% sweet despite the PCII needing a lot of work compared to the PCIII. The man's a gentleman too. Just make sure you leave an hour or so to chat!

His prices for tyres fitted are the best in the north as well, if not for Scotland - seriously - ask for a quote (which he insists on giving) and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Regards

Martin

PS John you'd better be reading this :devious ... though I doubt it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts