·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump it may not be the best but It will have to do for a year or two.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ANYbody out there today?

I'm still wondering which cable is the best but I guess they are equal.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I'm here, but I haven't a clue dell. I'm not a TV/Video/AV kinda guy at all.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Me neither. I suppose if I really wanted my pc hooked to the TV I could do that though the VGA port on the TV. This would then fore me to connect the 360 up via the supplied cable, however, I really don't see the need to have my PC connected to the TV.

I suppose I could just swap the cables and see if I notice a difference but that is a lot of work moving things around for a simple test for me right now.

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
Let me preface this by saying that I do not have an HDTV so I am shooting from the hip on this one, but since I'm an electrician I should be at least close... Anyway, I would think the 15 pin HDTV cable is going to give you the least signal loss, because everything isn't being broken down to component primary colors.

·
Who loves you
3,370 Posts
Mickey, I think the 15 pin is also RGB, it just consolidates it down one connector vs 5. I am not 100% certain on it, but I think that is the case. So it comes down to which method of connection you prefer OR which connectors your monitor has on it. "I THINK"

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Doesn't the xbox have a DVI cable? Friend brought one over once and we played it for a while...but I suppose it could have been component. On that size you won't notice the different between dvi or component imop.

ah, I see the tv is hdmi, not dvi, and I don't think the xbox has hdmi..if it does, it's a one cable connection as hdmi carries audio as well. Otherwise, just use component for video and whatever you have for audio...if yer really into it might as well spring for a fiber cable.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Pulled this off another forum via google search.

video connections on a scale of 1-10 (1-worst, 10-best):

HDMI/DVI - 10
Component - 9
S-Video - 6
VGA - 5
Composite - 3
Coaxial - 1

·
Registered
451 Posts
video connections on a scale of 1-10 (1-worst, 10-best):

HDMI/DVI - 10 (as long as you are not trying to do anything clever, like multiroom, or 4into1 splits, or HDMIoverCAT5)
Component - 9 (great for multiroom, good picture, will possibly become a headache if/when the ICT is implemented -Image Constraint Token-)
S-Video - 6 a POX on mankind
VGA - 5 Limited Signal length, great in practise though :) i like VGA aka RGBHV
Composite - 3 good for security cameras, and image preview on touchscreens (amx/crestron)
Coaxial - 1 again, good for security. possibly use the cable as SDI?

i would have put VGA right below componant....possibly above, depending on application.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I will just swap them around and see if I see anything different.

If not I'll stick with the monitor cable connection since it's one connector with the standard red/blue for audio.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Del, I install HD TV's everyday... I can't notice a difference between component and HDMI cables. Don't spend the $100 on the HDMI cable when you can get component cables MUCH cheaper! Hell if you want, PM me your address and I'll return your PM with my address, send me $20 and I'll send you a great set of component cables! Also, S video is pretty decent too, but component is the way to go!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Del .. i have RGB on my 43 inch panasonic HDTV.. its much better then component since colors arent broken down.. u can only see the difference when ur playing games with lots of shadows. like COD2.. colors will be much clearer.. just hook ur 15 Pin wire to the side of TV and red and white next to it for audio and switch ur chanel to RGB and injoy.. if u have a seround sound.. hook ur red and white to the back of ur sound reciever under AUXilliary and u will hear the sound from ur surruoun when u switch to AUX on ur sound reciever.. call me if u want and ill walk u throu it over the phone.. its not as complicated as u think..

Ash

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Ash, if he's got surround sound, he won't get true 5.1 surround sound just through the red and white connectors.. It has to be through coaxial audio cable or optical audio cable. :thumbup

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Del,
I have a similar Samsung HDTV and the xbox 360, but couldn't get the cable to work right...... I'm told I need an HDMI cable, which I haven't found to connect the two yet...

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
llamacide, the cable that game with the Xbox 360 will work just flip the switch to HDTV or if your HDTV has the 15 pin RGB connector on it like I have you can buy the XBOX VGA cable from Cirucit city.

Ash your setup is how I have it right now.

Sweet the red and white cables are plugged into an adapter and connected from the HDTV through the digital optical port currently. That may not be true surround sound but decent enough for me I suppose.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
great tv del..all i know is that i dont have the balls to hook up my xbox to my TV so its hooked to a smaller TV normal tv 32inch.. Be sure to get the HD cable sevice..sports in hd is the best thing since slice bread!!

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
you don't have the balls? why not? :O

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
heard rumors about hooking gaming systems to hdtv's..i have the original xbox not a 360 dont even know if does high def...but in looking at the prices i may buy a smaller hdtv for my room and try it out..

im also not home much..well if any.. i mostly use the large tv for watching sports (football) and movies every once in a blue moon..my roomates watch it more than i do..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts