TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's dark so I'll take some pics tomorrow.

The van has just over 41,000 miles and appears to be in great condition.

It a burgandy with a tan interior.

It drives well and with a NADA of $11,100 I snag it for $6100.00

BY the way anyone have a current account for carfax?

It has a few scuffs but overall in decent shape I think.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Thats a scary good deal.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DMV did not believe me until I had the form notarized.

Yeah I hope I made a decent deal. Anything will be better then the Ford Windstar we have. It was a 1996 and we paid $4000.00 back in 2003 it lasted maybe 6 months and the engine went. Replaced the engine with a use one, $1500.00 a year later same problem. Water in the engine via the heads. :puke

Must have had $6000.00 tied up into that thing. Sits in the back yard waiting for scrap or best offer.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
ill give u $50 for the windstar i need some target practice :lol.. that is a steal of a deal on the Kia hope it all checks out..DMV is a pain in the ass!!I guess its cause everyone tries to get over on the car tax..

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Awsome deal dell:thumbup

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like it, it sits up higher than the Windstar, it's not as wide as the Windstar, it has five doors compared to four and it accelerates decent. I do not like the horn, sounds like a sick bike horn. On the highway it's a little loud but one can drown it out with the radio.

The mileage per tank is not great but that's normal for us anyways, better than the Ford Windstar we had. I'll get exact numbers soon. All in all, no real surprises, I read the above on the interweb before buying.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Cool:cool

The horn is easy enough to fix, lots of good aftermarket options as loud as you like:)

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
If it runs reliably and gets you where you are going, it is a good deal. Sounds like it will do that for ya. Congrats on the new kid hauler!

Bless Mrs. Duke's '97 Mazda MPV. It just keeps running and to date has not had anything go wrong with it that I could not fix. 110,000 miles to date and zippo extraordinary expenses beyond maintenance. :)

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Update:took the Kia in for service. It has just over 50K now and it's still doing well.

I notice the air was not as cool as I expected so the service dealer clean the condenser unit and it's much better. The van also had a creaking noise on the right side when you start it. This turned out to be a motor mount replaced under warranty. Turns out they had a few problems with the right side motor mounts.

Yesterday, I finally had someone buy our old 1996 Windstar. A body shop picked it up for $200.00 I'm so glad to get that out of the yard. I gave away the 1990 Ford Taurus. The yard is getting a wee bit better.

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
If you get rid of all of the vehicles you won't have any white trash yard ornaments left. :laugh I guess you'll have to get some broken toilets to use as flower planters now. :D

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Funny you should mention that. That's a good idea. It could look nice. I have toilets in my dad's old broken down shed, That is going to be tore down this month. I'm buying another one.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Where's that chop of davecruz on the crapper when ya need it:laugh

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts

:D

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Me and my roommate did some remodeling last year. we had so much crap in the yard we would hum the sanford and son theme song everytime we went outside. when we redid the bathroom, we were carrying the old toilet outside and i asked him where we should put it, why next to the sink laying in the yard of course. the toilet proved to be an irresistable target for bricks one night when we came home drunk. now we just have a washing machine, a gs500 motor in a plastic bin, a jeep axle, and the giant shipping container that is where my bike sleeps. :laugh

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay so the van is still under 60K and we have went through two sets of brake pads on the front. :dunno Can't imagine Terri and I are that hard on the brakes. I remembered replacing them last March and I just did it again today. I can't remember if I bought new rotors though last March.

I installed new rotors and brake pads today. My youngest Hunter help me. It was one of those proud daddy moments that I'll always remember watching him tighten the bolts on the caliper.

Wait I just found the thread I did replace the rotors last year.

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/open-forum/83361-install-brakes-rotors.html

This thing goes through brakes and rotors that fast?

I mean the wife never told me it was sqeaking just grinding which meant it had no pad left on the drivers side. Very little was on the right side front.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:thumbup

30k miles out of a set of pads isn't unusual, esp on a minivan. Also, perhaps the caliper was sticking a bit causing the pads to wear a bit more quickly:O

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I doubt we got 30K out of that set of pads and rotors.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I was just guessing - 60k miles and you are replacing them for the second time?

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
We bought a new 2007 Kia Rondo V6 LX with fold down 3rd row seat (for extra kid hauling capacity) recently. While the back seat is definitely kid territory, it is remarkable that 7 humans can ride in relative comfort in a vehicle that is shorter than my Toyota Camry. So the trusty 1997 Mazda MPV with 113K miles on it is up for sale :)

It has the 2.7L V6 and the usual options. The car seems very well thought out with some neat stuff my Camry does not have like rear air heat/AC. The stereo is OK (the Camry is better with it's 160 watt JBL) but otherwise the Kia is more fun to drive than the Toyota. The steering is more direct and the V6 has immediate power in this smaller vehicle. The engine is very smooth and free revving, with a nice cammy rush at 4,000 rpm. I am very impressed with it.

Kia had a 2.5K rebate and I ground the dealer down another $2,000. They had 26 of them on the lot and I could smell the desperation to move the leftover '07 models. Out the door price with tax, title and all was $17,400, while the MSRP on this LX V6 model is over 20K. I think we did well. No doubt the thing will depreciate like mad, but we keep our cars 10 years. Conveniently, the Kia has a 10 year 100K mile warranty.

We became interested in the Rondo when I saw Consumer Reports said it was one of the best "overlooked" vehicles on the market. Test drove it against a Mazda5 and that was it. The Kia felt more solid and the V6 has nice smooth power. I already put a class 1 hitch on it, the thing tows the bike trailer well too. :D She is getting 21 mpg currently, with a somewhat heavy foot now and then for the Mototune break in. I anticipate it will get 23 all around and 28 on the highway. My favorite feature is the manumatic transmission :devious It also has electronic stability control and 4 wheel ABS disc brakes. Remarkable really, the features one gets with these things for the money.

The car has tall windows and I had them tinted by a local shop here - they did an awesome job that looks factory. We get a lot of inquiries on it as many of the soccer moms at school in their 16 mpg SUVs are curious about this efficient little kid hauler. At this point Kias are a bit of a rarity where I live and I think we have the only Rondo in town (it is a new model to the US - it is called the "Carens" in other markets). Anyway, how about a few pics from the master of the pic whore...

Plastic "beauty cover" quickly removed from the engine as I view a DOHC head with coil on stick spark plugs as prettier than fake plastic :lol

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
That's a fine looking motor:thumbup

1 - 20 of 22 Posts