TLZone Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I’m new to the tl platform just picked up a 99 r model with a couple issues high idle all the time 2,000 rpms and a coolant leak from weep hole in cover by water pump what did I get myself into lol

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,508 Posts
Welcome again Dave. :)

Coolant from the weep hole is an indication the WP seal is failing. Someone did a nice write up on the water pump seal replacement not too long ago. I'll see what comes up with a search......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got everything apart a couple things seemed odd the impeller bolt was tight but the impeller has a little wiggle in it and with the bolt off the impeller came right off, the other thing was the nut on the water pump gear was loose???

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
..... the impeller has a little wiggle in it and with the bolt off the impeller came right off, the other thing was the nut on the water pump gear was loose???
That is odd. Usually, the impeller is very tight on the shaft, and often difficult to remove.
The loose nut makes you wonder who was in there last.....

20171008_160427 by Tony Six5, on Flickr

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is odd. Usually, the impeller is very tight on the shaft, and often difficult to remove.
The loose nut makes you wonder who was in there last.....

20171008_160427 by Tony Six5, on Flickr
Yeap that on on the water pump shaft was finger tight and the gear has some in and out movement idk but I’m gonna tighten it up slap the wp seals in and hope for the best lol

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Im hoping the loose impeller was due to a seal worn out,
Not likely.
If you look at how the impeller is a functional part of the seals, it is feasible that the wobbly impeller caused the seals to fail, thus the coolant leak.

My reasoning for such a statement:
Please refer to the photos in Markturbo's 'how-to thread' posted previously. You'll notice that the backside of the impeller houses one half of the ceramic seal. The other half is pressed into the right side engine case. When the impeller is installed, the two ceramic rings rotate against each other, but they still create a seal that retains the coolant even under pressure. The two ceramic rings in that seal assembly are finely ground and have very flat mating surfaces. Of course the half of the seal mounted in the engine case is spring loaded, so it can allow for a small amount of lateral 'run out' in the rotation of the impeller. However, you can imagine if the impeller is wobbly, it will only introduce another variable, which could cause a good seal to fail.

The real problem, in my opinion, is the rubber coated sealing washer under the bolt that holds the impeller in place. That washer prevents fluid from flowing around the retaining bolt and along the shaft and out of the weep hole (or into the crankcase if it gets past the oil seal). If the impeller is wobbly, even when the retaining bolt is tight, then that rubber coated washer will not be able to provide a durable seal to the coolant once the system is pressurized.

After you have gone to this much trouble to repair the cooling system, I would recommend replacing the impeller. It is only about $23.00.

Suzuki 17491-02F00 - IMPELLER : Cheap Cycle Parts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not likely.
If you look at how the impeller is a functional part of the seals, it is feasible that the wobbly impeller caused the seals to fail, thus the coolant leak.

My reasoning for such a statement:
Please refer to the photos in Markturbo's 'how-to thread' posted previously. You'll notice that the backside of the impeller houses one half of the ceramic seal. The other half is pressed into the right side engine case. When the impeller is installed, the two ceramic rings rotate against each other, but they still create a seal that retains the coolant even under pressure. The two ceramic rings in that seal assembly are finely ground and have very flat mating surfaces. Of course the half of the seal mounted in the engine case is spring loaded, so it can allow for a small amount of lateral 'run out' in the rotation of the impeller. However, you can imagine if the impeller is wobbly, it will only introduce another variable, which could cause a good seal to fail.

The real problem, in my opinion, is the rubber coated sealing washer under the bolt that holds the impeller in place. That washer prevents fluid from flowing around the retaining bolt and along the shaft and out of the weep hole (or into the crankcase if it gets past the oil seal). If the impeller is wobbly, even when the retaining bolt is tight, then that rubber coated washer will not be able to provide a durable seal to the coolant once the system is pressurized.

After you have gone to this much trouble to repair the cooling system, I would recommend replacing the impeller. It is only about $23.00.

Suzuki 17491-02F00 - IMPELLER : Cheap Cycle Parts
Upon closer inspection whoever was in there last put the sealing washer under the bolt upside down when I reassembled it the play was gone in the impeller, I started it up burped the coolant and so far so good went for a quick ride temp only hit 185 but I’m guessing I’m good

1 - 12 of 12 Posts